Thread: THEME: CENTERED GREATER SAGE GROUSE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default THEME: CENTERED GREATER SAGE GROUSE

Attached Images Attached Images

I'll get some more mileage out of a couple mornings on a Sage Grouse lek. Topaz Simplify BuzSim
    Last edited by Nancy Bell; 06-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gary, do you want me to add "theme" to this? I love this head-on view of the displaying grouse and that wonderful symmetry of the tail feathers! Lovely blurred background with the browns and greens. I'm thinking about the vignette. I like that it repeats the pattern of the white neck and breast feathers and frame the whole bird as the white feathers frame the head of the bird. But on my monitor the whites are nearly glowing and are a bit distracting. Would prefer them to be like the whites of the feathers. Another approach would be not to have the vignette. I think the grouse commands more visual attention without it. What lek were you at and in what state?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gary, I love the symmetry of the image and the stare-down look from the grouse. I agree on toning down the vignette a bit, perhaps you could pick the color from somewhere on the bird? I would love to have a chance to photograph these birds!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gary, I love, love, love the bird. I am not a fan of the light vignette. I do believe that the image needs to be rotated a bit CCW, probably a bit more than I think. Click-draw a box around the face and open the Ruler Tool. Draw a line that goes through the center of each pupil. Hit IMAGE > ROTATE > ARBITRARY and hit OK. Let me know how degrees if any. Love to you and Lynn.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and the intent stare of the grouse. The almost symmetrical tail feathers really make the photo! I agree about the vignette, it's so bright it hurts my eyes. You might try the oval vignette tool in Lightroom or Photoshop CC Raw Converter to create a toned-down vignette. Or as suggested, remove it altogether.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default REDO GREATER SAGE GROUSE -THEME

Thanks to all for the look and comments. The vignette was included in one of the BuzSim presets. In the early AM hours it looked OK. In the light of morning after a good nights sleep, I concur with the group's assessment. Nancy, I would like this as a theme image. The lek is in SE Idaho near the small town of Dubois. I'll post an image of the area later. I wanted to capture the subdued light of the morning. This group of 35-40 males use a big corral as their lek. Cow pies are in all images. The corral is used primarily in the fall when cattle are brought off the open range. Artie, you were on the money relative to a few degrees of CCW rotation. Lynn and I are well. Thanks foe asking. Our love to Denise.

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I like it very much without the vignette. And thanks for the lek info. Lots of grouse here in Colo but access to leks is very difficult.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image brought a big smile to my face.
    Congratulations on win for the theme.
    Love the expression on the bird's face.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fierce looking bird! Love the head on stare, and those tail feathers, quite the display!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default LOCATION OF LEK

I captured this image upon returning to my truck. The lek is just to the left of the small building.