Thread: Woodcock

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Woodcock

Attached Images Attached Images

A shot from last year, a Woodcock sat on a dry stone wall is something you don't see every day, these birds can be very illusive at times and to find one sat out in the open was something I never expected to see.

7D, 500f4LIS+1.4TC, Bean Bag, from vehicle.
    1/400th @ f7.1 +2/3rds iso500

Thanks for the feedback on my last image and thanks for looking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Disheveled and elusive for sure. They belong in the woods in the leaf litter. Is the BKGR sky? Image design and yellow lichens are a plus. For me, the whole think could go somewhat lighter. Do you have a frame where the tail is not touching the rock?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wonderful opportunity you were given here! I like the color in the BG and the disheveled, bedraggled look of this bird.
    I wish the rock with the yellow lichen was sharper. I am hoping you have a picture with this guy on the rock with the lichen??
    It would also be nice to see the feet. Show us more!!
    gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andy, these birds like to jump up onto walls ect to dry after rain and we have certainly had plenty.pleased it decided to stay for you, looks very nice and natural don't think I would try to change it much,but that's just my take of course, it's a great looking image very well done.
    I'm up on the moors next week ,hope I have the same bit of luck.

Cheers Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur,

Yes, the BG is a dull, grey sky. The Woodcock was sat on a high wall and even though I was shooting from the 4x4, which is pretty tall, the shooting angle wasn't the best.

Cheers Gail, I'll have a look through the files for some more shots.

Hi Keith, cheers matey, the Moors should be buzzing in the next few weeks, so here's hoping you have a successful trip.

One thing I have picked up on since joining BPN, is that there have been comments made re the brightness on every image I have posted. On my screen the images look as they're supposed to, but saying that, my monitor isn't calibrated. In my next few posts I will increase the brightness a touch in PP and we'll see how they look.
    Maybe I just need to get the monitor calibrated to resolve the issue.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm on a calibrated NEC and it looks fine to me. It's a wonderful subject with an interesting "Perch". Good eye contact.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Unique situation you had, I like those rocks and the woodcock's pose is pretty neat. Those lichens sure add some nice colours! As for the exposure, it looks a tad dark to me too (not much, mind you)...a quick peek at the calibration strip below every page here on the forums should give you a general indication of where your monitor's brightness falls...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andy, I do like the 'inquisitive' head turn, together with his earthy colours. Great that you got him in the open, and the yellow lichen really stands out nicely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's always appreciated.

Hi Daniel...looking at the calibration strip I can clearly see all the gradients from Black to White, so I don't think I'm too far away in terms of my monitor. Thanks for the help and advice.

10. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome species and I love the overall setting here Andy. Your comp is just right for my taste - well balanced - and the lichen covered rocks add a lot of character.
    Nicely done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice IQ and the rocks with small dash of yellow is interesting to the eye
    i feel i would like the image a some what brighter, i can see all the details but the dash of brightness will be nice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot, Andy! Beautiful bird and very nice composition! I really like those beautiful rocks and the pose!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great finding and I really like the stone wall perch.

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice capture Andy,I like the light and perch,some nice detail,seen lots of these birds were I live,not been able to get a decent shot,you were lucky to see this bird on a wall,well done.