Thread: Norfolk Island Coastline 1

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Norfolk Island Coastline 1

Attached Images Attached Images

Norfolk Island, Australia
    Canon 5D2; 24-105@35;.5@f/22; ISO 100
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the emphasis on the moving water in the FG. The haze on the island reduces it's impact and I'd like more Contrast and Saturation there to try to balance the image more. Composition looks spot on, I'd just like the land on the horizon to pop more.

3. Thanks Jay Gould thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay

Do like the foreground water... I am 100% behind David suggestions, however I never thought I would ever suggest your images needed a little more colour..!!

regards

DON

5. Thanks Jay Gould thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Guys, at 8:30am there isn't enough hot sun for more color. Also, I am working hard to tame my color: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/h...l#.U2nJHK2SwSd
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi jay, just read the link, very interesting. How much oomph you put into the colours is a very personal thing, I often walk away from an editing session, leave the image on the screen and reassess it after a break. It often allows me to get closer to something I am happier with in the long term..

Regards

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Thanks Jay Gould thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the smoothness of the water vs the anchoring rocks in LR. the island in the back is not exciting, but it does add some texture.

10. Thanks Jay Gould thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, looking at your older images and the ones in that link, you didn't go "too far" in the past, IMO. The image at the top of that link does too far for my taste.

This is a big question for all of us. When I go into John Fielder's gallery, I'm struck by the Saturation, particularly in the prints by artists other than Fielder. I was looking at one particularly blatant case of Over Saturation and sloppy Cloning (visible smearing near the middle of the print) and commented to Tony Eitzel, Fielder's printer. Tony laughed and said, "That's one of the best selling prints in the gallery."

I went through a long period of striving for "accuracy" in my Saturation levels, but after hanging in galleries (pun intended) I'm now of the opinion that a little "push" from me can bring an ordinary scene alive. Our subject of discussion here is "ordinary" in the sky and BG and would seem more in balance to me, if there were a few more points of Saturation at the horizon and above levels. "Nature Interpreted" implies some poetic license to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, I haven't seen enough of your work to comment on any changes, but in the image above I find the color very pleasing. (And I also loved Velvia.) The look is peaceful, and fitting to the very lovey motion blur.

One thing that is in the mix with saturation is contrast. Increase contrast and you get increased saturation. They need to be controlled independently, which you have done well here.

If I have one issue, though, it would be a local adjustment that I would make to the rocks in the LR. They display a rather eye-grabbing contrast and sharpness relative to the rest of the image. You wouldn't want to change the sharpness but I wonder if a slight reduction in contrast would be a worthwhile comparison? My eye wants to stay in that gorgeous mid-ground!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi All, great discussion - thanks!

While I still love color, even after striving to tone it down a bit - just a bit!, I would not change this image. At 8:30am there wasn't enough sun in the sky to create any sort of serious saturation.

Again, thanks!
    Cheers, Jay

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, a very nice scene...I love the cascade created by the in-coming waves. I see what David means about the island, but at 8:30 am not sure if it would be haze...could it possibly be salt spray in the air from the waves breaking further out? If I changed anything at all I think it would be only to darken the distant island just a smidge.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone; been away for quite awhile - back for at least awhile!!
    Cheers, Jay

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    Hi Jay, a very nice scene...I love the cascade created by the in-coming waves. I see what David means about the island, but at 8:30 am not sure if it would be haze...could it possibly be salt spray in the air from the waves breaking further out? If I changed anything at all I think it would be only to darken the distant island just a smidge.
    I wasn't there, but I've done lots of early morning beach walking and it's likely heavy humidity in the air, or salt spray, or both, that's pretty common in still, morning ocean air. I'd make the adjustment that you suggest, but Jay is going through a "realism" phase and wants it to reflect what he saw. I totally understand. I'm often given advice here to remove a tint that was actually showing in real life, so I often take a similar stance to Jay.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephens View Post
    I wasn't there, but I've done lots of early morning beach walking and it's likely heavy humidity in the air, or salt spray, or both, that's pretty common in still, morning ocean air. I'd make the adjustment that you suggest, but Jay is going through a "realism" phase and wants it to reflect what he saw. I totally understand. I'm often given advice here to remove a tint that was actually showing in real life, so I often take a similar stance to Jay.
    Oh My Gawd! Realism!!?? No way Jose!! Just trying to tone done my possibly excessive use of the vibrance/warm filters. Realism is boring.
    Cheers, Jay

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this Jay. Just enough water blur and a nice "morning" feel to this. I would bump up saturation by something like 5 points, just for a bit more life without losing the sense of what it looked like to your eyes. I would also sharpen the fine details a bit more as it feels a tad smooth all over, especially the rocks and distant land?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll take this one as the strongest by a mile. The mini waterfalls put it over the top.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

20. Thanks Jay Gould thanked for this post