Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Skimmer skimming

Name:  PA Black Skimmer 4.jpg
Views: 4903
Size:  265.9 KB
    Canon 1D Mark III + Canon 400mm f/5.6
    f/8, 1/2500, ISO 800
    Cloned out a rock and the tip of an oof log from the bottom-left corner of the frame.
    Last edited by Binu John; 05-03-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

really really nice, the light is a bit harsh but great shot overall. I thought of getting the 1DmrkIII to complement my Sony cameras (which do landscapes for me). I was wondering how bad the ISO was in a shot like this at ISO 800?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another very nice shot Binu. All looks good to me. Thanks for your feedback on my last post.
    Regards, Ian

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

lke bg and landing pose

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice flight pose,some nice detail,a colourful image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really liking this one, Binu...the reflected light illuminating the under wings looks very good and the flight pose couldn't be better IMO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice angle you got here, Good exposure, The light very nice to me, excellent image.
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dvir! I really liked my 1D Mark III and the only reason I upgraded to Mark IV later is that extra 6 MP. I haven't noticed much difference in the ISO performance of these bodies. So Mark III will be a good choice if 10 MP is enough for your use. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dvir Barkay View Post
    really really nice, the light is a bit harsh but great shot overall. I thought of getting the 1DmrkIII to complement my Sony cameras (which do landscapes for me). I was wondering how bad the ISO was in a shot like this at ISO 800?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Wilson View Post
    Another very nice shot Binu. All looks good to me. Thanks for your feedback on my last post.
    Regards, Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart wanuck View Post
    lke bg and landing pose
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher galeski View Post
    nice flight pose,some nice detail,a colourful image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Shepherd View Post
    Really liking this one, Binu...the reflected light illuminating the under wings looks very good and the flight pose couldn't be better IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kimbrell View Post
    Nice angle you got here, Good exposure, The light very nice to me, excellent image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome pose and the feet dangling down is not something we often see with this species in flight (at least as far as photos go\0. Processing looks good, great job overall.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel! The water level is only a few inches around that area and they often land there while skimming. This time they continued skimming for a while before landing...so I'm not sure whether to call it a skimming or landing pose!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Awesome pose and the feet dangling down is not something we often see with this species in flight (at least as far as photos go\0. Processing looks good, great job overall.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Properly exposing a skimmer...black, red, white...can be a challenge similar to that of a Black Necked Stilt. Nice work on this one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Robert!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert vanMierop View Post
    Properly exposing a skimmer...black, red, white...can be a challenge similar to that of a Black Necked Stilt. Nice work on this one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Binu John View Post
    Thanks Dvir! I really liked my 1D Mark III and the only reason I upgraded to Mark IV later is that extra 6 MP. I haven't noticed much difference in the ISO performance of these bodies. So Mark III will be a good choice if 10 MP is enough for your use. Good luck!
    Ok thanks, I hope to pair it up with the old 300/2.8 L IS and some TCs, autofocus wise how do you feel it compares to the mrkIV for BIF and bird photography?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Though my Mark IV body's AF performance was better than the Mark III for BIF, I wouldn't say the difference was significant. Considering the AF performance improvement and the focal length of the lens you are going to use, Mark IV will be the best choice IMO. If you can get a used Mark IV in good condition for a reasonable price within your budget, I recommend that. But if you decide to go with a used 1D Mark III, be sure to test the AF performance as there are a lot of Mark III copies with AF issues.

Ok thanks, I hope to pair it up with the old 300/2.8 L IS and some TCs, autofocus wise how do you feel it compares to the mrkIV for BIF and bird photography?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Binu John View Post
    Though my Mark IV body's AF performance was better than the Mark III for BIF, I wouldn't say the difference was significant. Considering the AF performance improvement and the focal length of the lens you are going to use, Mark IV will be the best choice IMO. If you can get a used Mark IV in good condition for a reasonable price within your budget, I recommend that. But if you decide to go with a used 1D Mark III, be sure to test the AF performance as there are a lot of Mark III copies with AF issues.
    Thank you for the reply, I am getting one that I know was fixed and all, so it should be fine. I think that for 1000$ you get a lot of camera, the IV costs 3500$ used, and that is too close to a used 1DX (which I plan to get later on down the road) so I think I will skip over the IV.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If the AF issue was fixed, it shouldn't be an issue. Yes, you are right about the cost of Mark IV. Good luck!
    Thank you for the reply, I am getting one that I know was fixed and all, so it should be fine. I think that for 1000$ you get a lot of camera, the IV costs 3500$ used, and that is too close to a used 1DX (which I plan to get later on down the road) so I think I will skip over the IV.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image with beautiful IQ.Love skimming pose with nice wing position, lights,BG, water, reflection of his beak and composition.

Regards,
    Satish.