Thread: Blue-spotted Salamander.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-spotted Salamander.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey guys, here's a pretty neat critter that I found in the forest under a fallen log. A Blue-spotted Salamander, a common but not often seen amphibian of the woods (usually near vernal pools). Salamanders are always an exciting find for me, and this was actually my first "Blue-spotted" one!

Photographed with a macro lens but thought it more of a "wildlife" image.

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/160s., f/11, ISO 800, flash @ -2/3 FEC, handheld, FF, a bit of glare reduced via spot removal tool, and some spots of the ground toned down via burn tool. NR to BG. I do see some banding in the BG after resizing...just pretend it ain't there

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel - It certainly adds to the diversity of the images posted. Great pov and the comp works well. I wish for a little more dof but at f11 I'm guessing it's more a function of how close you were with the macro lens. Maybe a tiny bit more selective sharpening?

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel, not a species that I know anything about let alone see, so great to learn about. I'm with Rachel for wishing more DOF. So I assume this is a small critter and the only way you are going to get a FF image like this is with a macro lens, is it right? Loi

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dan, good to see you here, be nice if some more ventured into other parts, as not only would it bolster the diversity, but also thinking & techs.

Great POV as expected, nicely framed too. with that 'S' bend to the body. Like Rachel, I too was surprised at the DoF, but I assume you were almost on top of this guy? I also like the saturated colours, works well, but I would try to open up the face (Curves & Channels) a little more and get more of the detail you captured. Getting more of the 'sheen' I think to conveys the characteristic of this subject. Personal taste, but I would evict the little bit of debs RHS.

TFS
    Steve

PS Don't see the banding
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback and repost! Yes, this fella is small...this one about three inches long from tip to tip when in a straight line. I did take a few from less of a head on perspective that helped with the dof, but I liked the effect it gave here.

Cheers!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did take a few from less of a head on perspective that helped with the dof, but I liked the effect it gave here.
    I agree Dan, on reflection I should have thought about the size, DoF, a tricky one.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not too concerned with the very slight banding as it's well hidden in that nice BG.

Love the colour and pose here as well Dan, good to see you over here as well.

[QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;990566] be nice if some more ventured into other parts, as not only would it bolster the diversity, but also thinking & techs. [/QUOTE

Absolutely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel ,very nice to see different stuff and specially when presented with this quality.
    All coming together for me,the comp, colors and tones , but Steve took it even up a tad with his tweaks.

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite a cool character here, Dan! Steve's repost takes it in the right direction for me...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Daniel, and I do agree that Steve's RP does it justice. Amazing colours and I like the composition.
    Great to see you posting in Wildlife, just reminds me to pop in to Avian more often...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea