Thread: Wakodahatchee Updates

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wakodahatchee Updates

Hi! I am starting this thread because I am hoping it will be helpful for those planning on heading around the area. I live only 30 minutes from here, so, I am going to try to update it whenever I visit (often every other week). If you visit, and would like, please add your own updates also! This may help people to see what is where, and save time for those seeking certain birds or behaviours.

One reason I really like Wakodahatchee is that I can walk nearly right up to the birds, for very easy images. They are tame, they are not bothered by flash (though I nearly never use flash, though it could be helpful for me...), but best of all, they nest here in abundance. Here is my update:

Tuesday, April 22nd (my birthday!):

The Great White Egret nests in the pond apple trees seem to be doing quite well. There are many young egrets now. In the trees just along the boardwalk near the entrance are glossy ibises and tri-color herons nesting, some with young. The Gazebo Island (first on right) Great Blue Heron group are doing quite well, the young look like they will leave the nests soon, and the Great White Egrets are starting nests here and many are in full breeding plumage. The Left Island Great Blue Heron Juveniles also seem to be about to leave. The North Islands have Woodstorks nesting in them in abundance!!! This is the first time they have nested there. The anhingas and cormorants are everywhere, and the young are well. The South Islands have Woodstorks nesting also, they are now with well-developed young, likely they started almost a month earlier than the North Islands Storks ( I do not know why, but that is what I have noticed ). Also, I saw three Roseate Spoonbills on the Far South Island! They hung around for a while. One stayed, and looked like it was trying to build a nest, but then flew off toward sunset. They flew in the direction of Green Cay (anyone there that day?). Also saw a Least Tern couple, looked like the male was feeding the female, maybe she was preparing to nest?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thursday, May 15th, Evening:

The Wood Stork babies have fledged and are testing their wings! They will likely be leaving soon, I think. The parents were barely at the nests all afternoon. The Glossy Ibis babies are large, and their are baby and juvenile TriColor Herons everywhere. The Great Blue Heron babies are now all juveniles, with a few exceptions (there is a new nest with very young on the far side of Far South Island); they are out of the nests for the most part, and feeding on their own. The Spoonbills are not back. 3 Least Terns couples were around feeding, and a Skimmer flew through and skimmed for a while twice!

3. Thanks andresleon thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Chris. I visit Wakodahatchee and Green Cay often. I will try to help update this thread as I can as well.

5. Thanks ChrisCallahan thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks! I hope that my posts will be a help to you as well. Your posts will defintely help me! I have not been to Green Cay much lately, but I like going there in the summer, when almost no one is there, and the lightning showers come. Brings out the bitterns, the night herons... It's great!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just visited Wako again... The Wood Storks on the South Island are all gone from the nests, the young ones seem to be hanging out around North Island and its nests of Wood Storks. These are well, and will likely by out of nest in 4 weeks, so a little time with them still. The Great Blues are all gone from their nests, and the great whites, glossy ibises, and tricolors are all gone too. A few snowy egrets appear to be starting nesting. Cattle egrets young and ornery! Anhingas and comrmorants all nearly gone, but a new group just started nesting. The Neotropic Cormorant is still there.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Green Cay update. The last two weekends provided the opportunity to witness a mother bobcat and two cubs as well as multiple spoonbills. Looks like the fall/winter season is off to a good start!
    Last edited by Jay Abrams; 11-05-2014 at 01:26 PM.