Attached Images Attached Images

Duba Plains, mid afternoon

1DX
    500f4 II
    1/1600
    f8
    ISO-800
    Handheld

Saw this herd of giraffe trotting along a flooded road and tried to overtake them, but then our vehicle got stuck, so I could only manage a couple of shots before they were gone.

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi - Too bad they weren't more cooperative (and that you got stuck) but you did well to grab this image. Looks like a tender moment. The dof and vertical framing work well. The high grasses aren't ideal but you've handled them well. There's a little magenta coming through in the trunks of the distant trees.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the position of the two but there is something odd about the color balance, it has an artificial light feel about it. I found lowering blue in H & S gave some improvement.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi, I quite like the tall grasses, gives an almost peering through to view the Giraffes. Nothing you could do, but the branches around the mothers neck are a little distracting, but that's life. Certainly dropping the Blue helps whether by Curves, Saturation... does help, likewise dropping the Cyan from the white, and even a hint of Magenta out of the red, but all needs to be done selectively via adj layers. I wonder, perhaps a slight Exposure adj for the FG grasses just a slight darkening may help, WDYT? Nice to seem them here, never saw then.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Everyone, Thank you for your good comments. Agreed that the color balance was off, so started from scratch. Converted at 5250K instead of LR5 Auto at 4750. It was right after tea time ~ 4PM and the sun was pretty bright. I think this is much closer to the actual scene. Thanks again. Loi

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Loi.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The rp is an improvement to my eyes. I wonder if you could lose a little off the bottom. I know that you need to leave space for the legs, but I am tempted to lose a bit - perhaps a cm or two. Might reduce the dominance of those grasses.
    Ed