Thread: Northern Cardinal

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Cardinal

Northern Cardinal taken at Brazos Bend SP, TX.

Nikon D90, 1/800 sec at f 6.3, ISO 1600, 460 mm, tripod

Name:  Cardinal.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  160.8 KB

All C&C greatly appreciated.
    Just trying to improve

C M

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A gorgeous bird in a beautiful setting -- with a great expression! I like the perch -- it obscures part of the bird, but they are mostly out of focus parts anyway. If it's a setup you might cut off the frontmost branch. The OOF BG is wonderful, with the blue-gray area behind the bird. The exposure looks great. It's hard to be sure at this size but the bird seems to be a little soft -- maybe the focus missed just a little. At f/6.3 there's not much leeway. Were you able to get a single focus point on the bird's face? If it was moving a little that could throw focus off or show some motion blur.

Removing the few leaves just intruding into the frame left and top would keep the viewer more focused on the subject, which is well worthy of being enjoyed without distraction. If you have the chance, keep working this gorgeous bird!.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of the most lovely female Cardinal images I've seen! May be a TINY bit soft on the head....but still ok. You may want to take out the stray feather to the right of the bird's neck....and maybe the "half-round" leaf at the lower left. Wonderful BG.... and love the environment. Very pretty!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to Diane and Sandy for the great input.

Below is the picture with changes.

Name:  Northern Cardinal.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  159.6 KB

Thanks again for the help

C M

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What would you think about a little more border patrol, top and bottom? Everybody has their own personal limit, of course. Just raising the question...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    What would you think about a little more border patrol, top and bottom? Everybody has their own personal limit, of course. Just raising the question...
    Diane

If I under stand you right I don't have any canvas.

This picture was not cropped, would be hard to add to top and bottom. Also I don't like square pictures.

Thanks for all of your time and help

C M

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I didn't mean adding canvas or cropping -- just cloning out the few half-leaves that intrude into the frame edge. Four on the top and one on the bottom right at the tail, although that one wold involve some reconstructive surgery on the leaf behind it. Just thoughts -- many people like to clean up edges as much as is practical. It may seem a minor enhancement but can take a very good image (as this one is) up another notch.