Thread: Hate sand in my eye...!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hate sand in my eye...!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys

A NZ fur seal sitting on the beach of my home town in New Zealand... I have posted a close up of this guy before but thought this frame might look alright in B&W and hence provide my contribution to the monthly theme. Processed in ACR, converted into B&W in PS, slightly lightened the BG, fiddled in the Exposure, Offset and Gamma layer until I was happy and finally a bit of selective sharpening of the head. I found the EOG layer a pretty powerful tool, likely to be too powerful for this B&W bunny (beginner...)

1D4 + 550 F4, 1/800 sec @ F7.1, ISO 800. Hand held,~ 80% full frame

Happy Easter to you all!

DON

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don - For me, one of your best. I like the low pov and great detail. The toning and conversion work well. I am of two minds on the comp, I like the intimate feel but wonder what it would look like with just a little more space all around, or particularly below. If it were mine I might back off on the sharpening of the sand just a little. Well done!

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel...! I have a little more space, pretty sure I did not sharpen the sand although maybe after downsizing...will check.

Best regards

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Full frame repost, reprocessed from scratch, a little sharpening on nose only, nothing after resizing...looks like the BG is a shade darker, not what I wanted but its late...

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very, very well done, Don! I appreciate the fact that you went back and done an RP, this image deserves it! I really like what you have done here, great capture and the sharpening is just right, great pose from the subject and I just love those bits of sand flying all over the place! Enjoyed viewing this and looking forward to more images from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good Don, particularly the RP. Lighting is just right to give the animal some depth.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, Gabriela and Colin,

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. Nice to get a B&W a bit closer to the mark...

regards

Don

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don - I prefer the framing of the rp and the sharpness of the sand in the rp but like the toning in the op a little better. Perhaps you can get there with some selective dodging and burning. I would also selectively sharpen the fur seal a little more in the rp. It's an image worth working on.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don,
    agree with Rachel about being one of your best so far.
    In the field you could have gone lower for a really low POV , makes a different image i think. Just saying this without knowing the location.
    I like the conversion and the tones in the OP , like wise the sharpening .The sharpness in the sand does not bother me , but i would back off in general on sharpening , not much though.
    I am fine with the framing.

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, a wee bit tight all round for me and like Andreas, I would have liked a slightly lower PoV with more space in the FG rather than above. To me the image looks a little flat, just darkening the rear helps, but overall I feel there isn't enough tonal range to work as a B/W as presented.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas ad Steve,
    Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. I could have got lower by getting dirty and if that's what it takes...

Steve, I did lighten the BG to provide better separation / distinction between the seal and bg... A Bad move in your opinion? Also, when you talk about tonal range I assume you talking about the seal only, because darkening the bg as you suggested is closing up the tonal range even more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A Bad move in your opinion?
    No.

Also, when you talk about tonal range I assume you talking about the seal only
    Yep.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.