Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default becalmed

Attached Images Attached Images

Adjust, remask, simplify & flood.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! But I think I'd like to see the whole reflection, or fade it out with a gradient at the bottom.

3. Thanks Mitch Carucci thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mitch, I like everything about this image, especially the vivid colors, which contrast the overall sense of calmness that the water evokes. I love the wavy reflection of both the sails and the sky, produced by the subtle lines and circles of movement in the water....it makes the image very interesting, and really catches the viewer's eye. A high-impact image...great work. I'd be interested in more detail about how you processing the image.

5. Thanks Mitch Carucci thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mitch, this is a solid piece! It reminds me of the paintings I remember from my youth. A touch more room to the top and bottom would balance it out, if available. One of my favorites of yours to date!

7. Thanks Mitch Carucci thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely one of my favorites of yours! The background image is gorgeous and the boat fits right into the scene. Beautiful!

9. Thanks Mitch Carucci thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful, Mitch! I love the contrast of the white sailboat and the intense sky and water. Very nice
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

11. Thanks Mitch Carucci thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You've got a great sky and nice contrast from the sailboat. I'd make the water substantially darker for two reasons -- reflections in the water are normally darkened and it would add a lot to the feeling of depth.

13. Thanks Mitch Carucci thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy,

We have wunderful sunrises here in winter. I have not been able to get out to do any new photos, so I dipped into the old slide file and found this boat image from 1987 (I think). I masked it out with remask, and then went looking for a good sunrise pic. Fortunately, we had a good sunrise a few weeks ago. Everything that I did was on separate layers, so I could blend things later. I have to admit that a lot was trial and error. The water from the sunrise was too dark, so I used flood to create the reflections. Flood was also used on a separate layer with the boat, and then blended down. The background (sunrise) was run through Simplify and blended back with the original sunrise. The boat was darkened a bit in adjust, and I know that it should have been darker as it was so back lit, but this is OOTB, so I decided to keep it fairly bright. I tried a number of versions and decided on this one.

Thanks.

Mitch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mitch...thanks for the detailed explanation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy,

My explanation was less than lucid! I appologize, but I have to admit that I rarely know what I am going to end up with when I start. I have an idea of what I want, but it somehow always changes! Part of the fun of OOTB is the unexpected. I will try to keep a better record next time I start on a project. (sometimes I work so long on an image that the cat falls asleep on my feet, and then I can't get up until she wakes! )