Thread: I am Going To Eat It Myself

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default I am Going To Eat It Myself

At the end of last year, I have made it a goal to focus on owls more than any other birds. I must say that it has been a great year for photographing owls. I am fortunate to be able to spend the last 2+ weeks photographing one of the nests. This time, I decided to photograph them only after sunset. Every night after work, I spent several hours photographing these owls. My goal was to capture as many behavior shots as I could. As soon as it gets dark, the adults would come out on their favorite oak tree branch near the nest box. They would then take turn hunting and feeding the babies. They have brought in bugs, lizards, spider and more. The male came in with a nice size lizard. Babies were not moving away from the cavity. He tried feeding it to the owlets but no one accepted it. So he took it and flew off with it.
    1Dx, 200-400L, 1/250, f/11, Dual Flashes, ISO2500, Manual

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, what a cool image Troy. Great that we can see the prey item well, looks like a green Iguana, and the best part is the two owlets with their eyes showing.
    Everything looks clear and sharp. Very nice and unique capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool image and story, Troy! I love seeing the 2 little heads in the cavity and the adult with prey. The fact that the prey is so sharp and easy to depict against that dark BG makes it even stronger. I am not sure if viewers understand how very difficult this species is to photograph at night like this. These owls are VERY difficult to see and they are extremely fast. You have to be on your toes every single minute so good work! I have my work cut out for me and a lot of catching up to do.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    Very cool image and story, Troy! I love seeing the 2 little heads in the cavity and the adult with prey. The fact that the prey is so sharp and easy to depict against that dark BG makes it even stronger. I am not sure if viewers understand how very difficult this species is to photograph at night like this. These owls are VERY difficult to see and they are extremely fast. You have to be on your toes every single minute so good work! I have my work cut out for me and a lot of catching up to do.
    Thank you Marina.
    The first few evening was not very successful for me but I learned their pattern. No matter what bring back, they always come back to two spots and "prep" the prey before coming into the nest. I have also learned the difference between the male and female: the male would leave almost instantaneously and the female would pause for several seconds. When they leave the cavity, they shoot out like a bullet before opening its wings.
    I am sure you will nail the shots soon.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Salem View Post
    Wow, what a cool image Troy. Great that we can see the prey item well, looks like a green Iguana, and the best part is the two owlets with their eyes showing.
    Everything looks clear and sharp. Very nice and unique capture.
    Thank you David. They brought in a lot of lizards compared to other prey.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular moment captured. Wonderful image.I am unable to see exif data.TFS.

Regards,
    Satish.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Satish, the exif is in the original description. What would you like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Satish Ranadive View Post
    Spectacular moment captured. Wonderful image.I am unable to see exif data.TFS.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Troy,
    I am sorry. I could not see it because it is grey-black in colour.After selection it became white.
    Thanks for the reply. Great educational story.

Regards,
    Satish.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Troy, this is a great image. The old bird with the prey is super. But the two babies in the hole are stunning. Well done.