Thread: Courthouse Towers at Sunrise

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Courthouse Towers at Sunrise

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken just after sunrise in the Arches NP last May. It is a Photomatix HDR based on three images, then adjusted with NIK Color Efex. No crop. Any suggestions welcomed!

1D Mark IV
    16-35mm f/2.8 II at 18 mm
    ISO 200
    f/16
    Tripod

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great light and sky. I'd crop a little tighter, cutting out that last bluff on the left and a bit of the FG. I'd pull down the reds on the face of the Courthouse Rock a bit. It seems a bit hotter than real, but I know that these red-rock sunrises can be truly brilliant, so I have to defer to you about what is right. The FG and sky seem just right to my eye. All in all, you captured a really nice moment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike. I don't mind the deep color on the rock. Given the correct lighting I bet it could be even deeper red. I think the sky is ok, too. What I don't like is overall composition. Placing the monument with its peak at the center makes it some how less powerful, in my opinion of course. Maybe a slightly lower angle and putting the rock off to the right may have given it a more interesting view, but again, this is entirely subjective.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike

Beautiful light and setting. Love the colours as they are. Agree the towers are a little too entered but the foreground tree is just right for me. So the solution if feel is to walk to the right a little to keep the tree where it is in the frame but have the tower a little more off centre.

Regards

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, on my cellphone this image looks fabulous...will have a second look this evening once back home. I personally don't mind the centered feel of the comp. I could see this image being cropped square for calendar use. Very nice HDR looks natural. Nice work!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Solid comp and good light here Mike. It's got that "Photomatix glow" which I am not a big fan of, but other than that exposure balance seems good.
    I think the foreground can go a tad darker for more realistic dynamic range?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat shot, good skies and foreground. As people have said the rock is a bit hot, I would lower the saturation of the reds/yellows down to help that. The HDR is well done though, If you look close you can see a tiny bit of that HDR look but well done. Also I would crop a tad bit off the right.