Thread: Safe Stain/sealant for Bird Houses?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Safe Stain/sealant for Bird Houses?

Hello - first let me say that I am new to the forums, so if this is the wrong place to ask this question, I apologize. Also - I'm new to birding so if this is a silly question...well, you know.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a safe or non-toxic stain or sealant that I can use on bird houses that will not cause harm to the birds, their eggs, or the fledglings. Last year I put up a couple of bluebird houses on my land, and was pleasantly surprised to have a couple Eastern Bluebirds move right in. They raised two broods last year; the bird houses were just raw wood with no stain or sealing applied. As you can imagine, the weather takes its toll. I took the houses down for the winter, and am getting ready to put them back up. I would like to stain and seal the outside of the houses first, so that they last longer. However, I was hesitant to use an oil-based sealant as I would on most outdoor wood items, as I don't know if it will effect the birds.

Can I just use a normal oil-based stain and sealant and just make sure it is completely dry before hanging the houses? Or should I try to find a latex (water-based) stain? I guess even with water-based there is no guarantee that it won't be toxic. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Fred

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Fred,
    I think this is the right forum for your question! Although I don't have any scientific knowledge about it, I would stay away from petroleum-based products around birds. There are some newer water-based products that may be ok.... I wouldn't use a stain.... just a clear wood protector. I usually just clean or "repair and replace". ...and then find that the birds seem to like the old "beat-up" houses the best! I have a friend that hosts lots of nesting bluebirds and swallows... she has had really good luck with the new PVC tube nest boxes.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Fred- I would use white cedar and then a stain/sealant is not necessary.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    Hi Fred- I would use white cedar and then a stain/sealant is not necessary.
    Thanks, but the houses were built /sold by the Pennsylvania Game Commission and appear to be made of pine. I'm just hoping to give the wood a bit better capability to withstand weathering.