Thread: Taking flight

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Taking flight

Hello,

again I would like to post an image.

It shows a Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea) taking flight. This is almost my backyard . . . since I have a walk of 500m to this rookery. At the moment the birds are very busy. The first chicks are hatched . . . air combat ;-)

Nikon D7100 1.3x crop, AF-S 500mm 1:4D + TC 14E, 700mm (1400mm, 35mm film), f8, 1/2000s, 0ev, ISO 500, WB: Sunny

There are branches in front of the bird. I can't change it, they are there or have to be cut away.

On the other hand. I have the slight feeling my lens must be calibrated with the D7100, with the D800 everything is fine.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alexander, you are very fortunate to have a rookery close to your house - I have to drive half an hour to capture my Grey Herons. I do like the curved wing position and fanned tail, and it looks like he has some nesting material in his feet. I would try and selectively sharpen the heron, and if it is in your ethics, I would remove all the 'wood' in the FG. Furthermore, I would take a bit off the top, and add to the bottom.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello, I do not like to change situations with Photoshop. It is like it is . . . maybe one day they will cut it away. We are lucky enough here. Since last year we have these observation points where you can photograph very easy and normally even an DX Crop and 500mm is to long.

At the foot . . . well this is not nesting material. It is a cord or line? Donīt know it is around the complete leg. They normally transport nesting material in their bills. Some of them are hurt through fishing line. A few days ago some one was arrested while shooting in this bird reserve on the nesting cormorants.

Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat pose, the face and neck pop nicely against the dark under wings and tail. Glad you got separation for the tip of the bill. Love the curved back. I'd take some off the top and left, and I do wish the horizontal part of the perch was not so dark.