Thread: Orlando, Florida - Where to go for 3 or 4 days ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Orlando, Florida - Where to go for 3 or 4 days ?

Hello from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I was planning to go to Florida this April to Florida's Birding & Photo Fest.

Last year at the website it seems the dates were from April 18-21st.
    It seems it changed to April 30 - May 4, 2014.
    Can anyone confirm that ? The new dates are out of my trip.

Anyway I will arrive April 7 or 8. Until Friday (April,11) I will be by myself
    and I would like to know Florida's nature and birds.
    Researching this forum I made the following list.
    As the days are few, I'd like to know what would you suggest to visit.
    Hotels near the places would be best (instead of staying in Orlando and having to drive around 1 hour at least).
    I will rent a car at the airport. Let me know if I need a 4wd or a compact car is fine.

Here is the list.
    1. Gatorland
    2. Circle B Bar Reserve in Lakeland
    3. Fort Desoto Park
    3.1 North Beach
    3.2 East Beach
    3.3 Gulf Pier
    4. Merritt Island
    5. Viera Wetlands
    Alligator Farm ? Is it Gatorland ?

I still haven't booked the hotel so feel free to suggest the best places
    for this "birding mini-trip".

I will bring the Canon 7D or 6D. Thinking of buying the new Tamron 150-600 for this week.
    Or maybe renting some 500 or 600mm. Suggestions are welcomed.
    Best times of the day to visit each of the places are appreciated. As well recommended focal lengths for each place.
    Since I'll be joining my family later, I don't intend to bring a lot of photo gear.
    - 1 camera + 3 lenses max.
    - flash 600ex
    - Tripod + ballhead

Camera kit will be one or the other.
    Canon 6d + 24-105 + 70-300/IS + Tamron 150-600 or rentals.
    Canon 7d + 10-22 + 17-50/OS 2.8 + Tamron 150-600 or rentals.

Thank you.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Fabio:

Great to hear that you'll be making a trip to Florida, and I look forward to meeting you at the Foto Fest. Please say hello!!

Please take a look at the link just below this one for information on Fort DeSoto.

Gatorland is in Kissimmee (near Orlando) and Alligator Farm is near the Foto Fest. Both are great for bird photography. However, you have to buy an annual pass for $99 at the Alligator Farm to photograph early and late for good light. At Gatorland, Thursday through Sunday, you can buy a daily photo pass which works well if you only wish to photograph for a day or two. THere are some motels near Gatorland that are quite inexpensive. I think there is a Motel 8 quite close which isn't high end but it'll save you $.

Circle B Bar Reserve is quite close to Gatorland in Lakeland. Here is a link: http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recrea...arreserve.html. There is always something to photograph at Circle B. I once counted over 50 bird species in 3 hours. IT's a lot of talking but a lovely walk. There are quite a few photographers there who are than happy to answer questions as you are walking around the paths. You will find their Facebook page useful as well: Circle B Bar Reserve - Polk Nature Discovery Center.

I have only been to Merritt Island and Viera once and since it is on the other side of the state am not too familiar with those areas. They can be excellent for photography but you won't know until just before you get here b/c it can change from week to week or even day to day.

IF I were you, I would bring both cameras, one wide angle, the 70-300 and rent a prime long lens with teleconverters. You will be very happy.

Let me know if you have additional questions.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina, thank you for the quick reply. It helps a lot in my planning.
    I will arrive on Monday April 7 and leave on April 22. So no Photo Fest for me. I believe the dates changed since I checked last year to book my vacation days.
    I will have 5 "photography days" (Monday, April 7 - Friday, April 11). On Saturday I will meet my family.

It seems Circle B is the place to go.

So here is my agenda. Fell free to suggest changes, other places, whatever you think it would be best.
    Lakeland would be closer to Circle B but it seems Kissimmee would give me other options of activities.
    Any other recommendations about where to stay are welcomed.

Agenda
    --------
    Monday
    Arrive in Orlando. Go to the hotel. Get the rental lens. Check weather. Prepare gear for next day.

Tuesday
    Circle B. Full day.

Wednesday
    Circle B. Full day ?

Thursday
    Gatorland (early pass). Full day there worthy ?

Friday
    Open. After lunch hotel in Orlando, ship rental lens back.

Any balloon rides recommended ? There are a lot to choose from.
    I read in Kissimmee's guide about Silver Springs. Worthy for wildlife, birds ?

With so many lakes, it would be interesting photographing from a boat. No walking with gear. ;)
    Suggestions ? I read about Makinson Island.

An air boat ride focused on photographing wildlife would be interesting too. Recommendations ?

About gear
    ------------
    I think I'll bring the 6D, 24-105,70-300/IS and a TC1.4X so I have minimal gear to carry and get the high ISO for fast shutter speeds if needed.
    Or 7D, 10-22,17-50,70-300/IS ?
    What would be the best focal length to rent ?
    Tamron 150-600 $86
    Canon 400/4L DO IS $231
    Canon 300/2.8L IS II $257
    Canon 500/4L IS II $371
    Canon 600/4L IS II $438

I don't know how big are those places. So a monopod, tripod, none or both ?

Thank you.

rajojomanik

Default Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by fabiobernardino View Post
    Hi Marina, thank you for the quick reply. It helps a lot in my planning.
    I will arrive on Monday April 7 and leave on April 22. So no Photo Fest for me. I believe the dates changed since I checked last year to book my vacation days.
    I will have 5 "photography days" (Monday, April 7 - Friday, April 11). On Saturday I will meet my family.

It seems Circle B is the place to go.

So here is my agenda. Fell free to suggest changes, other places, whatever you think it would be best.
    Lakeland would be closer to Circle B but it seems Kissimmee would give me other options of activities.
    Any other recommendations about where to stay are welcomed.

Agenda
    --------
    Monday
    Arrive in Orlando. Go to the hotel. Get the rental lens. Check weather. Prepare gear for next day.

Tuesday
    Circle B. Full day.

Wednesday
    Circle B. Full day ?

Thursday
    Gatorland (early pass). Full day there worthy ?

Friday
    Open. After lunch hotel in Orlando, ship rental lens back.

Any balloon rides recommended ? There are a lot to choose from.
    I read in Kissimmee's guide about Silver Springs. Worthy for wildlife, birds ?

With so many lakes, it would be interesting photographing from a boat. No walking with gear. ;)
    Suggestions ? I read about Makinson Island.

An air boat ride focused on photographing wildlife would be interesting too. Recommendations ?

About gear
    ------------
    I think I'll bring the 6D, 24-105,70-300/IS and a TC1.4X so I have minimal gear to carry and get the high ISO for fast shutter speeds if needed.
    Or 7D, 10-22,17-50,70-300/IS ?
    What would be the best focal length to rent ?
    Tamron 150-600 $86
    Canon 400/4L DO IS $231
    Canon 300/2.8L IS II $257
    Canon 500/4L IS II $371
    Canon 600/4L IS II $438

I don't know how big are those places. So a monopod, tripod, none or both ?

Thank you.
    I'm no expert but I can suggest a few places around Orlando. I've been making this trip for the last 4yrs, the last two on my own. When I was with my family I would leave early and be home before noon so I could spend some time with them.

There are some places to the east of Orlando that I find very good like Merritt Island, Viera Wetlands and Joe Overstreet. You can kill two birds with one stone at Joe Overstreet cause at the end of the road there's a company that does air boat ride. There's also Blue Crypress Lake for Ospreys, very popular in April.

I've been to Gatorland a number of times and I've never stayed later than 11am. I usually get there early and back for the afternoon light.

If you have time try to make it to Fort De Soto for at a day, it is worth the 2hrs drive from Orlando.

Btw, where are you renting your gear?

Ramon

5. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate the suggestions. Joe Overstreet already in my map.
    Would the company be http://www.kissimmeeswamptours.com/ ?
    I'll check them. Any suggestion on what time is best ? Early morning, midday, end of day ?
    I heard once that for alligators it is best at midday.

The problem is that I'll have to drive the family to the parks. From there I can go somewhere else.
    Blue Crypress Lake sounds interesting but it seems it will be too far.
    Unfortunately Fort de Soto seems it will be out too.

The prices I listed are from Lensrentals.com.
    The rest of gear is mine.

Thank you.
    Last edited by fabiobernardino; 03-19-2014 at 03:28 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Firstly I decided in staying in kissimmee as it would be a 40 min drive to/from Circle B.
    Staying in Lakeland I will drive 13 min to Circle B and I can stay 2 days for free (hotel points).
    It would be a 1 hour drive to Fort de Soto.

So I'm thinking in staying 2 days in Lakeland, going to Circle B on Tuesday and Wednesday morning.
    Then I would go to St. Petersburg after lunch on Wednesday, going to Fort de Soto on Thursday and Friday morning.
    Then after lunch, I will drive to Orlando (2 hour drive).
    So I would miss Gatorland and maybe I could fit it on Saturday or Sunday.
    What do you think ?
    Suggestions for a hotel in St. Petersburg are welcomed.
    All those cities are new to me, so any recommendation about where to go, what I must see, what to avoid are very helpful for me. I appreciate.
    Suggestions for a backpack for these 4 days are welcomed too. Gear listed in previous post.

Thank you.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabio

I live very close to Fort Desoto you might try either Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites St. Petersburg North I-275 or right next to it is a ? Comfort Inn, both are at the same exit 54th St off 275. They are also right next to a Crackle Barrel Restaurant. Those places are about a 15 20 min easy drive to Fort Desoto which opens at 7AM. I was at the park twice this week and there is always something to see. Best at low tides.

Dennis Cassidy

9. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the hotel suggestions.
    Is the Comfort Inn this one ?
    http://www.comfortinn.com/ires/en-US...ty?hotel=FL168
    It seems there is too much noise from the highway by the comments section.

Would the Holiday Inn Express be a better option ?

Sorry for the questions but I don't know the area.

Do you think it's worth staying 2 days in Lakeland (Circle B) then moving for 2 days to St. Petersburg (Fort de Soto) and then Orlando or should I spend 4 days in Lakeland (Circle B) and other place and leave Fort deSoto for a next trip ?

Thank you.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know when I shot with Artie about a year ago at Fort Desoto that is where he stayed. The Holiday Inn in set back a little further from 275. If it was me I would consolidate the areas if you plan to be coming back. From St Pete you have several areas including Venice Rookery and also Fort Myers which is only 2 hours south

Dennis

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabio,

Sorry that I saw this thread late. I just want to add that I visted Orlando last year and spent a half-day at Gatorland (when they opened for photographers until noon) and found it to be very worthwhile. I got some great shots of Egret chicks in their nest, with and without mama, and a host of other flight and perch shots. I saw may Herons, Egrets, Spoonbills, Anhingas, and Vultures along with a few others (and the Alligators of course!).

Barry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis, after I wrote here I checked the map (Google maps) and saw that Holiday Inn is a little further from the Highway. If I decide the 2 days there are worth the trip, I will stay there. Thank you for the tip.

Barry, Gatorland is just 20 min from Orlando where I will stay most of the time with family. Just to guarantee I will be there on Friday (April 11) after 16:00. Family allowing I will be there on Saturday morning.

Thank you all. But keep the tips coming ... ;)

rajojomanik

Quote Originally Posted by fabiobernardino View Post
    Do you think it's worth staying 2 days in Lakeland (Circle B) then moving for 2 days to St. Petersburg (Fort de Soto) and then Orlando or should I spend 4 days in Lakeland (Circle B) and other place and leave Fort deSoto for a next trip ?

Thank you.
    I've been to Circle B only once and it's a great place but I would not spend more than a day, that's just me. There's also a lake in Lakeland that has a couple of pairs of Madarin Ducks. Here's an article... http://www.theledger.com/article/201...news/130219958

Personally, I would spend more time at Fort De Soto because of the variety of shorebirds and I also enjoy walking along the beach in the morning.

I would also check some groups in flickr for the places you are going to and see what people are posting in each location. A few years back I was looking for Spoonbills and haven't had much luck. the night before my last day, I looked at flickr and saw someone posting some Spoonbill pictures that were taken at Circle B. I was at Circle B the next day and managed to capture Spoonbills and actually met the person that inpired me to go there.

Anyway, good luck and be safe.
    Ramon

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A quick update. 1 week to go.
    I found the Facebook page of Circle B Bar Reserve - Polk Nature Discovery Center, but 1 week later nobody approved me in the group. Although I can read the posts, I can't write there.
    I read there are 9 trails at Circle B. If i don't have the time to go all of them, which ones would recommend ? Best time of day for each ?
    About safety: is there any animal that would run towards you if you meet them at the trails ? Any particular procedure for such animals ? Stand still, run ?

Thank you.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was at Circle B a couple of weeks ago and I would suggest Heron Hideout early morning and to concentrate on Marsh Rabbit and Alligator Alley trails. There is a bobcat family there and I was lucky enough to find a young one sunning itself in a tree on Marsh Rabbit Run in the morning and got some nice shots of it. I wouldn't be too worried about a dangerous wildlife encounter. There are some large gators around and I've seen wild hogs there but just use common sense and you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.

17. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is a place near the entrance that you can pick up a map, and there are a couple along the trails. The intersections are good places for photography but you can also consider asking other photographers b/c there are many there, or looking to see what other photographers are shooting.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

19. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd like to try the Canon 200-400/4L IS. I intend to rent. But no rental company offers insurance. Only damage waiver.
    I'll only use it at Circle B and Gatorland. 2 days each place. Is it a concern not to have an insurance ? I don't know the areas and neighborhoods.

Living in Rio de Janeiro, this is a big concern to me. Otherwise I'll bring my own "big lens kit" (Sigma 120-300/2.8 + TCs).

Thank you.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabio: I have been going to Circle B for about the last five years and was there this morning. I find that the best trail for getting good images is always Marsh Rabbit Run. Today, however, a chain was across the trail and a sign said Marsh Rabbit Run is closed until September (likely because of numerous bobcat and alligator sitings and it is mating season).
    This morning I did see the following on Alligator Alley which is a one mile trail: two bald eagles (one adult and one immature) from a distance, white pelicans (pretty distant on Lake Hancock), great blue herons, great egrets, snowy egrets (the last three species were both fly-overs and fairly close), several osprey (some fly-overs but several in trees eating fish) as well as limpkins (one close up eating an apple snail). This may sound like a lot of opportunities but, in my opinion, Alligator Alley does not have a lot of areas that are conducive to getting a good image---thick tree canopies often mean the bird is over you before you can get a clear shot. Numerous alligators were easy to spot (and to avoid). I did, however, get pretty close to a lot of mosquitoes on the small pier that is on Alligator Alley and extends out onto Lake Hancock---so many that I did not even try to take a photo of some nearby birds.
    Heron Hideaway found a couple of little blue herons within 20' of the trail. I heard two owls (shortly before sunrise) but never got to see them.
    My thought is one morning at Circle B should be more than sufficient.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm on my final packing.

Thank you for the tips. I will stay 2 days in Lakeland just to be close to Circle B. So I'll spend 2 days there, it's my first time so I believe everything would be good (at least new and interesting).
    If there are other/better options in the area, please let me know.

My plan is to spend the whole next Tuesday there.
    On Wednesday at 8:00 AM it seems there will be a guided birding tour.
    Good enough for someone going there for the first time.

The bad news, it seems there will be a lot of rain and/or cloudy days this week.

If someone would like to meet me there next Tuesday and/or Wednesday, drop me a message that I'll send you my cell number as soon I get one when I arrive.

Thank you all for the information ! Let me know if someone from here will be there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have a great trip, Fabio.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello, I'm back home. I'd like to thank you all the tips and suggestions received, special thanks to Mike Nardini who meet me there and introduced some friends. Great morning with great pictures, companionship and memories.
    Definitely I have to come back and stay longer. Maybe to the end of the year (Sept-Nov) or next year around March-May.
    For 4 days I went to Circle B (Tue 5:00pm - 8:30 pm, and Wed 7:15am-12;00am) and Gatorland on Thursday (late afternoon to just know the place) and Friday (whole day).
    Regards,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad to hear you had such a great trip. If you return and your choices are between Sept to Nov or March to May, March to May is much busier in terms of bird photography here in Florida. Hope you'll post a few for pictures from FL.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook