Thread: Pied Kingfisher on a dive

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pied Kingfisher on a dive

Attached Images Attached Images

The Pied landed 5 meters from me in the evening shade.
    I softened the background with a gausian filter and also lenghtened the bottom part of the picture to put the bird in a better perspective.
    I am glad for the outcome being on such a high ISO - but I am open for some lessons from the experts.

Nikon D700
    F 7.1
    Ss 1/2000
    ISO 1600
    F4

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Johan:

Very dynamic pose, true dive bomber look to it. Good call to extend the canvas below, needs room to dive into.
    How big of a crop is this? The IQ seems a bit soft, although it is possible to have some motion blur even at this shutter speed.

Did you prefocus on the bird as perched, or try to achieve focus after he dove?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good stuff by Randy above. Great diving pose but IQ suspect. Can you post the full frame original? Love the feet. Face looks a bit muddy
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you guys. Not n big crop. Bird so near that I had to switch to the slower focusing shorter distance on the lens. The IQ is suspect because of slow shutterspeed and shade. My question would be what settings I could use to get a better quality. Lens was handheld and not sure whether could have pushed the d700 for more! Yes, I tried pre focusing and could be misjudged as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Johan:

What lens were you using? I assume you had to turn off the focus limiter switch because the bird was too close?

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nikon 200-400. Yes Randy. You've got the correct description!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I am back. Let me know if the face is better or worse in the repost.... I started with a more traditional crop. As suspected, IQ was poor. The file I started with was only 106.8 kb. <400kb is OK for posting here. There was some artifacting around the bill.

My gut feeling is that sharpest focus was well on this side of the bird's face... Still, a great moment captured....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Arthur. I must get to grips with the sizing of the postings here. I should have done better with the crop from the start! The bird was so near me that I was afraid to move my hands to reset certain features on the lens for fear that the bird would fly away. Next time I would try again since I like the action shots.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW.

Crop your unsharpened master file to 900 pixels high. Sharpen it at Unsharp Mask" 120/0.3/0. Hit Save for Web. Optimize it to less than 395kb (from the dropdown menu at the Optimize symbol in the URC of the Save for web dialogue box) . Save to desired location. :) Post on BPN.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur.

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post