Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wildlife photographer pleads guilty to violating Endangered Species Act

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the photographic evidence from another day. No sign and no bird.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

2. Thanks John Haig thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty shabby evidence!! Any law school student would be able to tear that apart. Im glad Jim was able to get a hold of the evidence videos. Im sure it will show a different story of what people probably think happened, and along with his explanation, will clear his longtime upstanding name.

4. Thanks John Haig thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    Here's a still frame from a video they shot of Jim and a client. Again there is no visible sign warning of a Kite nest, and there is no evidence of Jim attempting to flush a bird. Here's a quote from the researcher who was narrating as he made the recording: "The bullrush patch directly to the left of him (Jim) has a nest that is possibly in the building stages at this point. It hasn't been checked by the Snail Kite crew yet."
    An unconfirmed nest site? This evidence seems speculative at best. Was this part of the evidence against Jim? In any event I apologize to Jim for my earlier rush to judgement whether he knew of it or not.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for sharing these photos and the info, Doug.
    The "evidence" indeed looks quite weak. The "news" article in the OP painted such a slanted picture that was meant to make readers rush to judgement.
    Hopefully all of this will be over with soon and Jim will be back to doing what he does best.
    Jim, all the best!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a link to the story on last night's WESH-TV newscast. The Neiger case is the second one covered in the piece.

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-flo...uilty/24843966
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobes View Post
    Here is a link to the story on last night's WESH-TV newscast. The Neiger case is the second one covered in the piece.

Thanks for sharing and making me nauseous....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks Grady Weed thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobes View Post

Interesting. I once, accidentally, fell on a manatee in the St. John's river. Both the manatee and I walked on water getting out of the area. I wonder why the one in the video seems so slow to move. Her calf looks old enough to move fast.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First When you get any kind of violation of the law it is way cheaper to plead than to defend yourself.And when it comes to wildlife laws especially federal walk in and tell a lawyer you need him to defend yourself on a federal law $$$. As a holder of a federal falconry permit I have first hand experience. the Feds will burn a falconer in a heart beat over a infraction. Have a gyr falcon shot and all you get is lip service.Its too far from their office to investigate.Oh they will investigate if its not to hard.Do all the foot work yourself and even then its no big deal . I have had two falcons shot in the last ten years.Gave all kinds of information even the violators address. Never even contacted the violator. I can tell you when you get out west a lot of raptors get shot. Their are a lot of ranchers who see every raptor as a chicken hawk.They will tell you thats why their aren't any pheasants left.They don't see any loss of habitat or overgrazing. Then you have state law enforcement and their not overly enthusiastic to do anything .It is a fine line they walk small communities Locals are all related.For the most Part Ranchers are electing local judges.A lot of this is political or not worth the time.You tell a state wildlife officer you had a gyr shot .I think most cant tell the difference between a redtail.Oh and I forgot who played the most significant recovery of the Peregrine falcon?That would be falconers and we cant even take one out of the wild.So yes I do have some problems with the feds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

[QUOTE=Roger Clark;978629]

"Regarding researchers, I have many colleagues who are researchers, including biologists. I do not know any who are not dedicated and concerned about their own disturbance of wildlife or habitat, nor do I know any who are just out to get their name on a paper. They are dedicated to the science and out to help with low pay and often terrible working conditions. I am appalled at the wholesale trashing of researchers here. I don't doubt that there are some bad apples, as there are in every field, but in my experience, that is an exception. A research study may impact a species, but it is controlled and limited. Compare that to the many tourists who may trample an area continuously for months (including some irresponsible photographers, and probably more so by the uninformed wildlife enthusiast, of which there are millions). That is the real threat to species after habitat loss by an expanding human population. The small amount of research that does get done is minuscule in comparison to thousands of photographers, and millions of general population that may impact an area. It is also surprising to me that photographers are quick to point out a few bad apples shouldn't taint all photographers, so why do just that to researchers? Amazing hypocrisy."

As a former Wildlife Research Biologist (retired) who worked in the field with a variety of birds for 35 years - I would agree completely with Roger's comments on this subject.

13. Thanks Greg Basco thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger, Steve,

I would hate to lose your valuable insights, contributions etc... to this site because of the huge uproar over the incident in question here. If we did, that would serve the nay sayer's and opponents of our hobby. I do not necessarily agree with everything everyone posts here. Nor do I expect everyone here to agree with me on my posts. We all think just a bit differently on these sensitive issues. As you both said, "there are bad apples in every group, club, organization etc...That's because we are all imperfect people, no exceptions to that rule!

Whenever some incident like this happens, their are always some who trash the supposedly guilty party without knowing ALL OF THE FACTS. I don't think we will ever get rid of those who do so. Too many today sit behind the computer keyboard and rant, say things no one would say to the other face to face. The global community has been made smaller with the internet, so some will inevitably take advantage of that and use it irresponsibly. It would be nice just to ignore them and hope they will go away, but they wont. Education is the key, of course they have to listen for it to be an effective tool. That's a whole different topic to address.

I hope this incident settles down soon so we can get back on topic and take good images and share them with others. I for one am taking the "Maine Master Naturalist Program" in order to help me to educate others in the field. I want to address clubs, organizations and individuals in order to educate them about what the state of Maine has to offer us in the way of wildlife and the beauty of our landscape around us.

I can understand your frustrations of this thread and the topic of harassing wildlife in general. But I would hate to lose any over what we all have not the full facts on. It is sad this has taken on a life of it's own and has detracted from the goal of us all as photographers. And to me that's is to make beautiful images of the life around us for others to enjoy. Thank you for listening everyone. :)

ps: I have to admit this thread has gotten my attention. I have replied a number of times. More than anything else, as Roger stated it is the attitude or the deep seated feelings that has been the most revealing. I hope we can change some of that.
    Last edited by Grady Weed; 03-10-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added ps; spelling

15. Thanks John Haig thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123