Thread: Birding tour Spain March

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Birding tour Spain March

Can anyone provide information on guided bird tours in Spain for March. Any suggestions or advice on operators greatly appreciated.
    We usually just go birding on our own but OH does the driving and I wanted something where he could relax a bit more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sue, I'm not sure whether you are interested in specific places in Spain, or want to make a tour of the whole country, but I can recommend going to Extremadura (south west of Madrid), which is well known for its large numbers of vultures (Black, Griffon and Egyptian) and relatively large numbers of bustards in the steppe areas. If you're lucky, you'll see the Spanish Imperial Eagle as well. Check out http://www.extremadura-spain.co.uk/. These people are relatives of a colleague of mine. They're great photographers and are very knowledgeble of the area. You can stay at their finca as well. There's a good guide on where to find which species on paper too. See: http://www.crossbillguides.com/guidebooks. The area is great for wildflowers too. Check this gallery on my website. There's two vulture pictures in my 'latest images' gallery as well.
    The marshes of Coto Doņana is another spectacular place for birds, but I don't know any guides there (except for the paper one from crossbill), but you can book guided tours into the national park at the visitors center. There's flamingo, ibis, night heron and a whole range of other marshland, wader and duck species there.

3. Thanks Sue Johnson thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sue
    have you tried Steven Daly (Andalucianguides.com) he is good

good luck

john

5. Thanks Sue Johnson thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Jerry
    We have booked with Extremadura Birding. Will try and get a review up somewhere after our trip.

I have bookmarked Steven Daly as they looked really good for Andalucia and the migrations. Next trip?

Crossbill guides - they have one for Extremadura but the Donana one is out of print.
    Happy Birding
    Sue

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds good Sue! Looking forward to your images from this special area. Are you going for the Great bustards as well? I've been told that if you want to photograph them, you have to enter a hide before sunrise, and are only allowed to leave it after sunset in order not to disturb the birds! Seems like quite an ordeal.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry - Yes, the Bustards hides are in before first light and out after dark. We are not that dedicated although I could manage it if there were facilities but it seems you have to take your own
    If I get some nice pics then I will put them up here. Sue

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic trip to Spain. We could not believe that there would be so many birds.
    Extremadura Birding looked after us in Extremadura and this obviously made a huge difference to the number of birds seen but many of the birds were seen on fences and telegraph poles just driving along. Cuckoo, Greater spotted cuckoo, too many corn buntings, Warblers, Vultures, Eagles (not sadly the Imperial Eagle), other raptors, Storks etc etc. Great Bustard and Little Bustard at a distance.
    Lots of birders too of all nationalities who were very happy to share what they had seen although sometimes it was difficult to know the name of the bird in another language - this is where knowing the Latin name would come in handy.
    We will definitely go back. Sue