Thread: Where are the birds in SW Florida? I'm here but not great luck so far.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Where are the birds in SW Florida? I'm here but not great luck so far.

If this is in the wrong forum, please move as appropriate.

I'm staying at a hotel in Fort Myers near the Fort Myers International Airport.

So far, I've been here three days, and have gone to Ding Darling twice. There were no birds, at least not any in range. Or this morning, they were all on the wrong side of the road, and I would have been forced to shoot directly into the sun. Yesterday, I went to the Venice Rookery, and had pretty good luck there. I got quite a few good to great flight shots, and lots of courting & nesting behavior and baby chicks.

I am considering going back to Venice early tomorrow morning, and going from there on to Myakka River State Park. Can anyone give me advice on what to see and where to go mid-morning and afternoon? I've not been there before, and am clueless about the place. I am hoping there will be good opportunities for bird photography, or at least that there will be more birds than photographers or fishermen.

I'll be here through next Thursday too and any other suggestions for places to go are welcome. What's the best way to get to Little Estero? I've heard that finding an appropriate place to park can be problematic.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dennis Zaebst; 02-15-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There are burrowing owls west of Fort Meyers in Cape Coral (if I remember the name right). In ugly vacant lots near the library, burrows marked with PVC pipe. They come out in the late afternoon and are used to people -- you can get pretty close.

Shark Valley on the Tamiami Trail, north edge of the Everglades should be good.

If you're going to be near Lakeland, Circle B Bar Reserve is excellent, but the trails are a bit long if you go all the way around.

3. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane, I'll check those out!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Little Estero Lagoon behind the Holiday Inn on Ft. Myers Beach has a reputation for being very good as well. I haven't been there myself, but have always meant to try it out on my annual trip to Sanibel. Best of luck to you

6. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ding Darling is very hit and miss I would do Cape Coral, Estero, or would drive up the coast to Ft Desoto.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

8. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Having lived in Florida for 27 years, I'd say Fort DeSoto is THE place for birds, anytime! And about now it should start to get a bit busy.

10. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have been to Little Estero several times, there is a shopping center across the street from the Holiday Inn (which you walk through to enter Little Estero) , I have parked there many times and never had any problems. I have also seen photographers 30 minutes or so before sunrise park right at holiday inn, you will want to get there early to get the most action of thousands of sea birds feeding, just make sure you don't go at high tide.

Look up bunchee beach which is right before you cross the bridge to sanibel, this place flocks with many different shorebirds such as piping plovers and snowy plovers, osprey, roseate spoonbill and many more. You will want to be there as the tide is going out, so look up tide charts before going, if you get there right as the tide is going out it will be well worth it.

Check out corkscrew swamp sanctuary in Naples, get there early, you never know what you will find there. Bring a tripod and the longest glass you got.

Since I don't live in fort myers anymore, I have a secret spot few know about. It's in Fort Myers the cross roads are six mile cypress and metro parkway, on the southeast side of the intersection, across from the orange grove, there's a small lake where tons of birds roost, white pelicans, spoonbills, stilts, egrets and herons, very active place, but you have to be there a couple hours before sunset or the place is a ghost town.

There is also a place in Lehigh Acres not far from fort myers called Harnes Marsh Preserve, it's great for bird photography in the mornings of course, but if you need somewhere to go in the after noon check that place out to find Snail Kites, although I have never seen one in the preserve it self they hang out on power lines around the preserve, drive up and down sunset blvd and around the elementary school near there and chances are pretty good you'll get a rare snail kite and crested cara cara.

One more place to get a rare bird that's very probable is Babcock/Webb you can find Red cockaded woodpeckers and if your lucky Bachman's sparrow. I wrote a post on where to find the RCW's here

I lived in the area many years and know it well. Let me know if you need Burrowing owls or Florida scrub-jays I got a great spot for them also in cape coral off 14th ave nw.

12. Thanks Dennis Zaebst thanked for this post