Thread: Fort DeSoto to Sanibel RFI

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fort DeSoto to Sanibel RFI

I will be headed to St Petersburg next weekend and was then planning on heading down to the Sanibel area (and possibly try Cape Coral for Burrowing Owls). I will have three mornings of photography and was planning on spending one at Fort DeSoto and two in the Sanibel area. I am having some difficulty finding up to date information on the areas and have limited experience on the best areas for photography. It seems like a lot of the places I was planning on have changed significantly since I have been there.

1. Are there any available resources online or otherwise?
    2. I know Artie Morris has two site guides for the areas; does anyone have experience with them?
    3. If you had three mornings as described above what sites would you plan on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Peter
    Knoxville, TN

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Peter,
    Don't miss Fort Desoto. Your drive From ST. Pete to Sanibel will take you by Venice Rookery. I would suggest a stop Just to see if it's appealing to you even if it's. the wrong time of Day. Be at Ding Darling At 7:00 Am, Hopefully near low tide. Don't be late, I Have seen flocks of 30 or so spoons fly off one by one leaving you with not much to shoot after 7:30. There should Be White Pelicans that may or may not be close. If you don't like what you see you can make it to the lighthouse by 8:15 , Where you should See Osprey, Pelicans and shorebirds.
    I like little Estero Lagoon in morning or Evening. Lots of Traffic though. Holiday Inn has now changed Hands, But park in the strip mall across the street.
    I think you are too early for the Cape Coral Owls. Please let me know if you find any, I am preparing for this myself.
    Robert Kimbrell

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fort Desoto would be a definite for me. Robert knows much more than I do about the Ft Myers area. If you have any specific questions about Fort DeSoto, feel free to send me a PM.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Peter,

The Cape Coral Burrowing Owl Festival is Feb 22, so your timing might be about right. Juveniles usually start appearing at burrows in March, however.

http://www.capecoralburrowingowls.co...-Festival.html

email The Owl Lady for a personal tour at a minimal fee: capeowls@gmail.com

I had tour at the end of March, 2012. It was totally worth it. Beverly knows where all of the owls are. I got some great shots, and learned a lot about the owls.

Here is a link to an article I wrote about the experience: http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/t...coral-florida/
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir

5. Thanks fabiobernardino thanked for this post