Thread: Osprey Feeding

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey Feeding

Name:  _19A2491-Edit.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  343.7 KB

I captured this image a few days ago in Cedar Key, Florida. The Osprey was 30-40 ft from me and at eye level.

I don't know all of the pro editing techniques, but hopefully this image is worthy of this forum... Very slight adjustments in LR and slight selective tonal contrast in Color Efex Pro 4.

Canon 5DM3 • 200-400mm @ 400 • 1/640@ f5.6 • ISO 1250

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve

This is definitely worthy of posting. The details on the bird are good even in the whites. The background looks a little noisy did you apply sharpening to the whole image?
    I wish the head was turned slightly more towards us. I wish I could get this close to an osprey to even get a shot like that.

TFS
    Iain

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Steve,

The first thing i noticed was there is a strong purple cast in the image. I played a bit with the color balance in PS to get a more natural color, ran a noise reduction to the background and applied a bit of more saturation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good repost by Raybel to get rid of the cast. Nice wingspread here, although I'd prefer a better angle on the subject it does show those wings nicely. The perch is what it is, better luck next time for that. Well exposed image, sharp as posted, and you have a nice BG.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Raybel, thanks for the adjustments... It looks hugely better. I have a calibrated system at home up north, but while down here in Florida I'm working off a non-calibrated monitor. I didn't notice the cast, but obviously do now. I haven't developed the art of applying NR only to the background. Again, a great improvement. I appreciate everyone's comments.
    Last edited by Steve Deam; 02-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,
    Very nice moment you have captured. Repost by Raybel looks beautiful. I like the wing spread, BG and composition.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely sharp detail and a great pose and moment caught! It would be worth going back to rework the RAW file to get the color better and bring out more detail in the whites. After getting the wing color where you like it, have a look at the BG and see if it wants any tweaking. The yellows can be adjusted quite a bit without changing the bird. You could mask off the eye from those changes if necessary.