Thread: Let's share some ideas

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Let's share some ideas

Hmmmm, there are quite a few of us "Sef Efricans;)" on this site, should we not start sharing some specific locality and opportunity information for our international co-members as a first, and then, should we not start organizing some trips like the chaps do in the US of A? I mean to say, some of the cream of the crop are already here ..... pro's like Chris and many of the serious amateurs I know like Peter B, Kirsten, Kobus, Margo, Peter D, John D, Vic, Stu, Stephen, Ken to name but a few. Come on guys lets get the ball rolling for the BPN-Africa side.
    Last edited by Geurt Bloem; 05-13-2008 at 05:41 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good idea Geurt. Maybe we can add some pics here taken at specific locations which are typical to that location. It might give foreign members who want to visit an idea of where to go.

Ken Watkins

. I think it would be marvelous to share information, but I have no idea how we can go about it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aaaah, some voices out of Africa:)

Stephen, I think pictures of places can help and add to that what type of opportunities exists and when.
    Ken, why not start with some feedback of conditions at local areas where opportunities for bird photography exists. I for one do not know of the opportunities in Greyton!:o

I am just brain storming now, others can come with other ideas.

Ken Watkins

Firstly let me state that I am very new to bird photography, other than a few raptors which were big enough to see through my smaller lenses, now that I have got a 500 lens I am trying my hand. It is therefore difficult for me to tell you what you are likely to see here in the Overberg, there are plenty of Blue Cranes around and a reasonable collection of raptors. Plus many garden birds from which I am trying with immense difficulty to build up a gallery. Nearby we have Bontebok NP and De Hoop, with lots of birds but difficult conditions. De Hoop has of course at the right time of year got African Black Oyster catchers!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken, now I know where Greyton is!

Man there are many opportunities in your area:
    Theewaterskloof dam (lots of waders, ducks and smaller songbirds etc)
    Riviersonderend (most probably goes right past your offices ;)) but specific the marshy area south of Helderstroom prison.
    The lagoon to the east of Hermanus called "Kleinriviersvlei" has some very nice opportunities for waders, ducks etc etc
    The lagoon to the west of Hermanus called "Botriviervlei" ditto for waders etc.
    Then there are what seems to be very nice canyons behind you guys at Greyton and behind "Genadendal" and these should have louries and other forest type avians. I have not visited these areas but have seen them from the road and have been studying them on google earth not so long ago and have made a note that I will travers that area more carefully whenever I am in that area again.!

Man, I wish I was down there to go and investigate these areas with you!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken
    Just to add to my avian photography lust pain, the West Coast National park must be a "must visit park" on your agenda for birding and photography. Masses of birds along the shores of the Langebaan lagoon! Oh boy, am I talking myself into a trip to Cape Town or what!!

Dave Hutchinson

Guys...I am in Florida, but I am in love with southern Africa. I have safaried twice...first in Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa and more recently in Kenya. I have been a subscriber of Africa Geographic for almost 4 years. I think that it is the best conduit for southern Africa wildlife information and the magazine has some wonderful wildlife photographers on their staff like Ian Micheler and Daryl Balfour, Any information that you can shed on Africa bird and wildlife photography would be most appreciated. -Dave-

www.CrazyAboutTravel.com

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Guys,
    could you give me some informations?
    Seems, thatI am happy to go to South Africa from 8.th til 21st. of december.
    I will stay a couple of days at capetown and then I'll move to Durban or George.
    I would love to have some ideas where to go for bird photography.
    Can you PLEASE help me???
    I'm interested in every kind of bird.....

Thanks a lot,
    Rose

Jeni Williams

Rosie, I suggest you pm Geurt, he is a pro here and will be able to help you.

Garry Coldwells

Default Plett area bird photography

Attached Images Attached Images

Folks,

Too late I see this section of the forums (particularly for Rossl - sorry).
    Anyhow, for anyone's interest, I have shot extensively around Plett. I found a little booklet (left it in Plett like a d--s) in the bookstore in Plett that a local guy had written that details the areas birding spots and it helped me a lot.

Key areas in order of productivity/numbers:

1) The sewage dams are by far the best for waterfowl, waders and raptors. Check out Google Maps (the satellite view is brilliant) and look at the N2 leading out of Plett towards Keurbooms. The first road on your left at the bottom of the hill is a dirt road, follow it for about 800m (stay on the right fork and do not go up the hill) and you get to a pumping station and two small overflow ponds. There are often Herons and hawks right in the field here. Note that from here you can park and bundu bash (quietly :)) up to the dam wall of the first dam. I was amazed at how many ducks I saw there on my last visit on 2006.

If you follow that road further you will come out of a tree lane at the third and forth dams. Drive slowly and approach on foot as the waterfowl will likely fly from the 3rd to the 4th as you approach. What I did like particularly is that of the 60 or so taking flight there was always a good number that flew off around the dam (towards the lower dams) and provided good flight opportunities.

The very top dam is small and really smells but has very good waders.

2) Keurbooms river and tributaries near the N2/R340. This area has a large variety of birdlife. Shooting here is more challenging due to the more open terrain. This is where you may see Fish Eagles, Ospreys and look out for herons sunning themselves on the old bridge (wings open like a cormorant etc).

3) Plett Rhino Park (now called the Plett Game Reserve I think) which is up the R340 a little way (Google it for exact directions). Good game shooting here but more importantly is their extensive bird life, including ground birds, water birds and raptors. They have a very informed staff who can help you with particular species in the area.

4) Robberg reserve. I spent very little time there but did see plenty of sunbirds and sea birds in numbers.

Cheers to all. I can not wait to get back to SA for more bird photography.
    Last edited by Garry Coldwells; 01-13-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Garry Coldwells

Default South Coast shooting - Ramsgate etc.

I had time for one more today so here goes. I also do a good bit of shooting around Margate/Ramsgate when I am in SA.
    In Margate I visit the nursery next to a small bird park just off the main road (Froggy Pond Nursery ). Do not bother with the bird park, it is distressing. Ask the guy at the nursery if he minds you shooting (he has never declined me access). The nursery has streams all over it and is home to many birds, snakes and tree frogs.

In Ramsgate I shoot on the lagoon right near the Teahouse. Kingfishers, weavers, herons and shorebirds are abundent.

The last one that is well worth a look is The Marina Beach Nursery (The Lifestyle Restaurant is a cool place to sit while you watch the storks nest. Here too there are many opportunities for sunbirds, weavers, herons, storks on the nest, kingfishers and smaller tree birds.
    Last edited by Garry Coldwells; 01-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Excellent advice in these posts of yours, Gary. Thanks for the effort in posting them. I have fond memories of the Teahouse at Ramsgate - waffles were our summer holiday treat there!
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Garry Coldwells

Tony,

Cheers. It was a regular treat for us too. I will post more when inspiration strikes.

G

Ákos Lumnitzer

Fellas,

Why not do some articles for the E-zine?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Guys. Really appreciate what you are doing here. Cheers. Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Akos' idea can get quite interesting...which article format? Exposee of a pristine avian photographic location in the RSA?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    Akos' idea can get quite interesting...which article format? Exposee of a pristine avian photographic location in the RSA?
    If you are keen on doing an article, I'm sure you could submit it in any common format. Fabs is in charge of the eZINE and the articles are published as pdf. Topics could be anything appropriate from techniques, to site guides, species reports, birding resources.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is this thread dead ? When we arranging a trip together ? Should be cool to go shooting in a group again - I haven't been in ages. Let me know please ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What would be great is a worldwide database of really good wildlife photography hides (blinds). Long-established hides that are sited properly for photography are also a fantastic resource for parks and conservation in general. I am sure most photographers would happily pay a small fee to get closer to the wildlife. Some great hides are already out there (Giant's Castle, South Africa for one) - but it would be brilliant if more parks would establish hides to encourage visits by wildlife photographers.