Thread: Welcome to my world

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Welcome to my world

Hi everyone, this one is a monument close to lisbon on the other side of the river, in the city of Almada. This monument was inspired by the São Paulo monument in Brasil and was built here in 1959. Regarding the photo, i made it with attention to all details to create a pleasing and strong composition.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Welcome to my world por Patacão, no Flickr

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The long exposure added much drama to the clouds.. The seemed to be moving toward or away from the camera, which aids the composition considerably. The composition seems close to perfect for me. I would like to see more shadow detail on the statue part of the monument. Perfect contrast otherwise.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Normally I'd prefer the use of a tilt-shift lens, or view camera with movements, to make an image such that it does not keystone. Yet in this case, the image works well.
    I must say that it appears you've used a grad filter (or applied same in processing), as the top of the monument becomes progressively darker.
    Regardless, you might want to even out the cement on the monument. Perhaps something like this:
    Name:  statue1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  208.4 KB

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Luis, I love the radiating pattern created by the cloud movement and the B&W conversion too. Don's repost is a big improvement now that the monument is of an even tone. My only question is: could you have stood in front of what appears to be a plaque in the grass in the foreground so that is was not in the image?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephens View Post
    The long exposure added much drama to the clouds.. The seemed to be moving toward or away from the camera, which aids the composition considerably. The composition seems close to perfect for me. I would like to see more shadow detail on the statue part of the monument. Perfect contrast otherwise.
    Thanks for the feedback David.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nelson View Post
    Normally I'd prefer the use of a tilt-shift lens, or view camera with movements, to make an image such that it does not keystone. Yet in this case, the image works well.
    I must say that it appears you've used a grad filter (or applied same in processing), as the top of the monument becomes progressively darker.
    Regardless, you might want to even out the cement on the monument. Perhaps something like this:
    Yes Don, i`ve used a 0.6 soft grad filter and a Prostop 3.0. I will extract a little more detail on the statue, but not this much as the top of it gets to white in regard to the rest of the image. Thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McLachlan View Post
    Hi Luis, I love the radiating pattern created by the cloud movement and the B&W conversion too. Don's repost is a big improvement now that the monument is of an even tone. My only question is: could you have stood in front of what appears to be a plaque in the grass in the foreground so that is was not in the image?
    Andrew, are you refering to the plaque on the right? That`s te ID plaque of the cross leading to the statue.. It does hurt a bit but if i understand your feedback and i was to stand on the front, it would introduce a human element wich was not my idea.

Thank you for the feedback.