Thread: Subadult Northern Gannet Zipping Past the Boat

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Subadult Northern Gannet Zipping Past the Boat

I'm prepping for a pelagic trip out of New York we're running this weekend so I thought I'd toss up a Northern Gannet shot I took earlier this month. This is a sub-adult, probably third winter, showing an adult head and underparts but still molting in its back, wings, and tail. One thing I love about these winter trips is that you usually get a lot of passes from Gannets in flight, but the adults are a lot more common so I'm always thrilled to get a decent shot of one of the younger birds.

Name:  PAG_4451.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  104.4 KB

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED + TC1.4 II, 420mm total (630mm effective3)
    ISO 800, f/7.1, 1/3200

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, overall i like the image, specially the specie (i`m not fortunate as we don`t have this one in Portugal). The wing position is good, the technical aspects also look good, except the contrast witch seems a bit low from here (not sure if its my laptop screen).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul

I agree with the contract looking low. It looks to me like you may have a blue cast on the white and I would expect the colour of the head to show more.
    Looks like your using the same equipment as me so its good to compare the results you are getting.

Iain

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture! Contrast does seem just a bit low, but if it was cloudy, that would fit. Warming it just a bit might give the look of more contrast.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do a bit of tweaking and see if I can improve it.