Thread: Black Capped Chickadee

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Capped Chickadee

Attached Images Attached Images

I have not been able to get out much and shoot lately. This photo is from about 10 days ago. This is a first for me because I shot it at iso 800 (generally I only shoot up to 400) and I applied noise reduction to the background. The image has been cropped down to fit an 8 x 10 format (nothing has been cropped from the top or bottom). This bird has always been a favorite of mine. Shot with Canon 7D with the 100-400 @ 400mm ISO 800 F 5.6 at 1/250 on tripod. Thanks for looking and I appreciate any feedback.

- Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have no complaints. The exposure looks great. The background looks especially great. Nice head angle.
    The perch also doesn't overwhelm the little guy.

Doug

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I think you have a pleasant shot here. Very nice, sharp detail, lovely colors. Would be nice to have more of the tail in focus but with the magnification needed for a small bird that can be difficult.

It feels a little tight in the frame for me; I wonder how the original crop would look.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice image.

I like the head angle and the nice clean background. I agree with Diane's comments.
    This bird reminds me of our marsh and willow tits and wonder if they are the same species.

Iain

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug, Diane and Iain Thanks for the comments. I will keep the original uncropped image in my files. My original feeling was that the bird maybe could use a little more space as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of the things I miss about having moved to the southwest from the northeast US is the chickadee. Nice exposure and sharp focus on the face which is the important part. He stands out nicely against the background. I'm ok with this crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would also prefer a less tight crop, with some more room on the right. But very nice pose, head angle and sharpness.

Richard