Thread: Coopers Hawk with kill

Terry Olmsted

Default Coopers Hawk with kill

Attached Images Attached Images

I caught this guy in the act of feasting on one of the California Quail in our yard
    Last edited by Terry Olmsted; 01-06-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: revise file and size

Sue Palmer

Marvelous shot of nature at work. Vertical orientation works well here.
    My only (and very minor) nit, if you have more space, I'd like to see just a bit more room around him.
    Sue

Terry Olmsted

Thanks very much, Sue. I agree - I think I kept the crop a little too tight also.
    Terry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp, wish I had been there, excellent composition with the head turn. You can make these 800 pixels tall; this one deserves to be larger! I also like that you are looking down on the bird; you can see the quail and the raptor's feet. And congrats: it is not oversaturated or over-sharpened!

Later and love, artie

ps: Linda Robbins says that she loves the leaves too.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-07-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great job, I only wish it was posted larger! Looks like it was a damp day...

Terry Olmsted

Thanks for the comment on size - I have revised the image size, thanks - I'll figure this file stuff out soon.
    Terry

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terry I didn't see the original image but the resized version seems to have some artifacts particularly on the bird. Did you start with the original file or just re-seize the one you posted?

Terry Olmsted

Thanks Stephen - I started again with the original file. I don't see the artifacts on my screen.
    Terry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know what happened, but I revisited your image here and it did not look this noisy before you resized it - just to let you know!

Terry Olmsted

Thanks again, Daniel. This was taken on a dark day at ISO 1600 1/200s XTi 400mm 5.6L hand held. I am fairly new to the sizing issues. I revised the post - the noise is a bit lower, however, given the lighting some noise is expected.
    Terry

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Noise or not, this is a wonderful image...

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Terry Olmsted

Thanks very much, Art - coming from you I consider that a real compliment!
    Terry