Thread: Spots for Manatees and other animals in Late April-early May ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spots for Manatees and other animals in Late April-early May ?

Dear all,
    as Arthur Morris would say : "it ain't just birds"
    I'm a French birder who will be visiting Florida for the first time from 19 April to 7 May with my family. I have gathered quite a lot information on bird photo sites thanks to this forum, Atrie's books and other web resources (eg Birding Trail).
    It is much more difficult to find information on good photo locations for other animals, such as mammals.
    I would like to see manatees but they seem to be much more dispersed at this time of year. Do you know reliable sites where they can still be found (Crystal River, others ?).
    Also if you know some parks where sightings opportunities are better than others for mammals such as bobcats, black bears, fox squirrels, Florida panther (we can dream), I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks to all of you and for all the useful ressources you make available.

Thomas Perrier
    France

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Crystal River area is the Manatee Capital. The Manatee State Park, in Homosassa, Florida (south of Crystal River) is just down the road from where we live and they have live Manatees there and can also provide information on other local sites, such as Three Sisters Spring, which is a favorite of the Manatees. Any boat service or dive shop provides regular or private Manatee experiences. The criteria for finding Manatees here is cold water in the Gulf, which we currently have. There are over 600 Manatees currently residing here, which is the largest count in recent times, due to our unusual COLD temps this year. Therefore, to assure that you are able to see them, the earlier you can put them on your itinerary the better. You will see them, as they are here year round, but your chances of seeing them when you want to are greater before they move back into the open waters of the Gulf of Mexico, when the Gulf warm up again.

To see the other mammals you list, some are also on display at the Manatee State Park, I think the Florida Panther is one of them, but I’m not sure. Black bears do live in the area, but I have yet to encounter them in the three years we have been here. However, they supposedly are in the NWR across the road from us. Coyotes, armadillos, and various snakes are also residents of the area.

Finally, check the weather, before you come. While it might not be Hurricane season yet, it also might not be spring ... if the temps keep falling has they have been!!!

Bon Voyage!

Make A Great Day!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mark for the information. We will definitely put Homosassa on our trip itinary.

Regards

Thomas