Thread: Tamron SP 150-600 F/5-6.3 Di VC USD

Forum Participant Craig Schriever's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tamron SP 150-600 F/5-6.3 Di VC USD

I just received this lens and was wondering if anyone else here has it. My first attempt 10 min out of the box. Handheld. @600mm F/6.3, ISO 1000, 1/500ss. Only processing was RAW pre-sharpener and Lens correction.

2. Thanks Leigh Cojocar, David Stephens thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

I think this may be the wrong forum for consumer zoom love. only version Canon II L lenses or Nikon equivalent get any love here

seems like an important lens. It allows people to gets into nature photography at a more affordable price.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Im very interested in this lens, I've heard much about it and me and my dad ( both bird photographers) are interested in it. After selling my 300mm F2.8 MK II Im looking for a new smaller lens weather it be a zoom or prime so this does have some interest from me and the price is fantastic in the UK. I did hear the lens struggles massively with birds in flight, what are your thoughts on it?

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts
    Last edited by Paul Granone; 01-21-2014 at 01:31 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Cohen View Post
    Im very interested in this lens, I've heard much about it and me and my dad ( both bird photographers) are interested in it. After selling my 300mm F2.8 MK II Im looking for a new smaller lens weather it be a zoom or prime so this does have some interest from me and the price is fantastic in the UK. I did hear the lens struggles massively with birds in flight, what are your thoughts on it?
    Have not tried any BIF yet. I have only had it one day and will try in the next day or so to get out and really give it a good shake down. Its not too heavy, the zoom ring works well but its quite a throw from 150 to 600! Much nicer build quality than I was expecting for the price. VC seems to work really well and focus snaps right on target (so far) on what I have aimed at. In my very limited time trying it out I would say it looks very promising.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Craig, your image looks much more promising than earlier images I saw on the web made with this lens. To actually judge the quality, could you inform us which camera you are using this lens with? And a 100% crop of feather details would also be very interesting!
    I hope you keep us posted on your experience. I'm looking to upgrade my NIkkor 80-400 and have not ruled out the Tamron or Sigma big zoom lenses (yet!).
    TFS

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Craig Interested to know what camera you are using also. I have a 1DX and wondered if you still get all focusing points at 600mm f6.3 as Canon 1D Series normally only allows up to f5.6 and then only allows centre point at f8.
    As this is in between I have always wondered if you get all focus points or not. I assume the contacts might be set up slightly differently on the Tamron mount to allow all points to be active at 6.3 otherwise the 7D would be unable to focus at 600mm.
    I am seriously considering the lens as I will never be able to afford or justify the Canon 500 or 600 lenses.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jerry it was shot using a 60d. I will be happy to post a 100% crop! but will have to wait till tomorrow. I'm out the door to work.

Doug, I was using the center point focus and have not tried any other but I will and report back.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here are 2 100% crops Jerry I will do some more test shots today on a tripod. These were handheld and there might be some motion blur. My first tray at using a 600mm so my technique is suspect. :)

Doug on my 60d I get all Focus points @ 6.3

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for taking the time Craig! This actually looks very promising! Maybe not up to par with the Canon primes, but definately worth considering for people who can't or won't spend that kind of money. Main issue seems that you're forced into the higher ISO-levels by the max. aperture of 6.3 at the far end, which might also hamper shooting BIF.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your welcome. In the two days I've had this lens it's been cloudy, no sun, in fact we had about ten inch inches of snow last night, but that's to be expected when you get a new lens. :) so I have not tried it yet in good light, maybe today the sun will show up. Definitely not a prime but I'm pretty sure it will yield good results . And for the price I think it has great value.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Craig. That sounds promising. I can only use the centre point (with the 4 surround points) on my 1DX when using my 400mm 5.6L with 1.4x attached as its f8 and also I only get 560mm reach.
    With the Tamron I will get 600mm at 6.3 and would be able to use all 61 focus points and also have IS
    The only thing I need to find out now is if the quality of the Tamron is as good as the 400 with 1.4x. I will try and hire one to compare and will post my findings. Best Wishes. Doug

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a few more feather detail shots SOOC

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seems to be a pretty decent little lens

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Jim I agree, seems to be a good value. :) Very nice image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Some concerns seem to be the higher ISO needed because of f/6.3 aperture but that is only 1/3 stop slower than the f/5.6 of the Canon 100-400 L lens.

David

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was hoping this lens would be the answer on the Canon 7D, works great in One Shot but in AI Servo it is a bit " tricky " to get it to work as it should. In talking to B&H today 2/13 the product rep. talked to Tamron and the word " tricky " is there wording, so I returned the lens. It did a real good job in One Shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rytter View Post
    Was hoping this lens would be the answer on the Canon 7D, works great in One Shot but in AI Servo it is a bit " tricky " to get it to work as it should. In talking to B&H today 2/13 the product rep. talked to Tamron and the word " tricky " is there wording, so I returned the lens. It did a real good job in One Shot.
    The 7D can have trouble with an S-II L lens in AI Servo mode. Nothing is going to fix that except a 7D MkII.

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephens View Post
    The 7D can have trouble with an S-II L lens in AI Servo mode. Nothing is going to fix that except a 7D MkII.
    Does anyone know whether there are similar issues using this lens on a Nikon DSLR body?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a review of the lens on a Nikon body. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvm...ature=youtu.be

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Schriever View Post
    Here is a review of the lens on a Nikon body. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvm...ature=youtu.be
    Thanks, Craig. Interesting video, and thanks for the link!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a few shots and and an update to say I'm really enjoying this lens!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Craig, for the new photos. They look great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Norm. Much appreciated. I think I read that the Nikon mount will be available in April? But I'm not sure if that is official.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a few more then I'll let this thread fade into the either. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Craig, only one comment - WOW!

I have the Canon 600 II and the 300 f/2.8 IS and I actually am thinking about this lens for more flexible use when it just isn't practical to set up a big lens.

28. Thanks Craig Schriever thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again, Craig. You've convinced me that the lens is worth a try, and I've pre-ordered one from B&H. I've also kept track of reviews posted on B&H, and they've been very favorable. A recent one was from someone describing himself as a semi-pro. Interestingly, he declared that the Tamron 150-600mm was sharp all the way out to 600mm, and that he was leaving his Canon 500mm f/4 lens at home.

30. Thanks Craig Schriever thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Craig, only one comment - WOW!

I have the Canon 600 II and the 300 f/2.8 IS and I actually am thinking about this lens for more flexible use when it just isn't practical to set up a big lens.
    Thank you very much Diane. This is my first 600mm lens and The shots above are handheld I'm still working on my technique but its coming along slow but sure. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Dulak View Post
    Thanks again, Craig. You've convinced me that the lens is worth a try, and I've pre-ordered one from B&H. I've also kept track of reviews posted on B&H, and they've been very favorable. A recent one was from someone describing himself as a semi-pro. Interestingly, he declared that the Tamron 150-600mm was sharp all the way out to 600mm, and that he was leaving his Canon 500mm f/4 lens at home.
    Your welcome Norm. With B&H's great return policy its a worthwhile purchase to try out. I find it nice and sharp @600 especially @ 7.1 or 8.0. Never having owned a 600L or 500L I can't compare them. But I do have a 400L 5.6 and the Tammy does quite well @ 400 5.6, I might be selling the 400 now.

33. Thanks Leigh Cojocar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have a Canon 100-400L and it is a love hate relationship I have with it. When I have compared it with other independent lenses I always found the canon was better at focusing in tricky circumstances. I have read quite a few write ups on the new Tamron and most indicate it is actually better optically at least up to 400mm. Having said that I get some pretty good results with it.
    I suspect the Tamron will be excellent value particularly if it is micro adjusted at the longer end. Most seem to think there is chromatic aberration at the long end but this is easily fixed and usually only apparent at 100%. I think at 500mm plus if it was used at f8-11 it would prove to be pretty good. I am quite impressed with some of the images posted above, I won't be selling my Canon 500mm but the chances are I will be trading in my 100-400mm for the Tamron for increased flexibility - sounds great for taking on family holiday when the prime purpose is not serious photography.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've had the Tamron 150-600 lens for the Nikon mount for a while. The results with the lens have generally been excellent. But on relatively rare occasions, while attempting to focus from one point to another, the lens has not focused properly.

This problem has been much discussed on the internet. One fellow with a Canon mount lens has posted a link to a YouTube video describing a fix: http://shutterpsych.wordpress.com/20...e-working-out/. The solution described in the video was to send the lens back to the supplier, with a request to install new firmware supplied by Tamron. The lens thus corrected had no autofocus problems.

So if anyone using the Tamron 150-600mm lens is having such autofocus problems, consider sending it back to your supplier or to Tamron, for installation of the new firmware.
    Last edited by Norm Dulak; 10-13-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Forum Participant Leigh Cojocar's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is anyone else having issues with dust on the inside front element of there lens? I seem to have collected quite a bit in the short period time I've had the lens and am wondering if its gonna become a serious issue or not.