Thread: First-timer at ETL - Rock Pigeon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default First-timer at ETL - Rock Pigeon

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a common Rock Pigeon I took over the summer while at the beach. I thought the pose was different enough to make it interesting:

Nikon D4
    300 w/1.7 TC
    F6.7 @1/1250
    ISO 200

Basic adjustment in LR, then sharpening and contrast adjustment in Perfect Effects. No cropping.
    I am new here and this is the first photo I've posted at BPN. I welcome any comments, critiques etc.
    Thanks all
    Jeff

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jeff - welcome to BPN. Great first post with an interesting pose and really nice detail. There seems to be a cyan/blue cast, more noticeable in the sand and shadow. You can reduce it through selective color or in hue/saturation. If it were mine I would open up the midtones just slightly (easily done through a curves adjustment or by moving the middle slider in levels to the left). Finally, I would back off on the sharpening slightly as it appears a little oversharpened and there is a halo around the pigeon. All easy fixes, let us know if you need more step by step directions. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey, Jeff. I love the unusual pose of this guy. I agree with Rachel about the color cast, but in general I think this a great first post. Detail is excellent.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate pointing out the color cast - I didn't pick up on that. Opening up the midtones helped as well. I didn't see the halos but reduced the sharpening and masked out the sky. Do you think it worked?
    Thanks again, Jeff

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the original was very good, the repost even better. But I would open up midtones in LR, not in PS. Easy to do with the Shadows slider.

Good catch on the blue, Rachel. Could have been fixed with the Cyan-Magenta Tint slider in LR.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane, I went back to the original RAW image and reprocessed it in LR just like you suggested. I'm glad you liked it.
    Jeff

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jeff, great control of the exposure, love the elegant pose of the pigeon. I might reduce the brightness of the background and foreground to make the bird stand out

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I reworked the BG. Do you think it helps the photo? Jeff

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a very subtle difference -- I had to layer the two to see it, but then I can see that the BG is very slightly darker but the bird was also further lightened. Either of the last two versions works well, I think. But the last one has now introduced a slight red-magenta cast.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane. I started back from the RAW file so that's probably why there are some other differences. I am leaning toward the brighter BG myself. Either way the input here is great and I wish I had found this forum sooner.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jeff!
    What a WAY COOL first pic post! (first was pretty blue and dark)....I think your final RP is best.... just a tiny hint of Magenta, but it somehow seems to subdue the BG and help the bird to pop a bit without doing much else. Totally fun image! Great detail!...What do you think about maybe a five-ten degree CCW rotation? Would it be possible to make that dark blob of sand a bit more neutral? OK... these are EXTREMELY tiny little nits... Your last post really makes the pigeon PRETTY!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.