Thank You Posts

Default garden finch

Attached Images Attached Images

Used 300/f4 f11
    Grahame

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grahame. You sure didn't include much as far as techs. Like what camera, shutter speed, ISO, etc. The bird is in a nice pose, but it looks overexposed and lacking detail, almost like a flash was used.
    I don't know how much cropping was done, and certainly not why it is a square format. Maybe I could help with more info?
    regards~Bill

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the spectacles on this bird! Head on shots work better imo if there are sexy crown features or raised crests, or if the bill coloration contrasts nicely with the face. The spectacles kind of make this work...but I'd still prefer a side profile head angle here. I don't mind the square presentation, but the composition feels cramped, particularly on the bottom, where, given the size of the bird in the frame, I think the perch needs more size in the frame for visual balance. More shooting data would be helpful as William pointed out. Like I'm wondering why you would choose f11 when shooting a 300mmf4 (apparently bare?)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd also like to see more information, both on the shooting specs (camera,shutter speed, ISO, etc.) and on the processing.

My first impression is that it does look a little soft, and the crop feels a bit tight.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My apologies for not responding sooner D800e 300 f4 lens iso 2000 f11 1/200 hand held although close a fairly big crop agree needs more space on right high iso created a fair bit of noise need another cataract op prefer head twist but those eyes appealed to me your comments welcome i just need to take more thank you all it helps me to look closer at my pictures
    Grahame

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grahame, if you drop your DOF to say around f/8 or somewhere between f7.1 -10 providing you keep a sensible SS you can afford to reduce your ISO and the IQ will be better. If you are using a 300mm lens the old rule used to be 300mm lens then 1/300sec SS. Have a good old browse in Avian to get a feel for ISO, SS & DOF, for birds like this, plus look at the Tutorial forum too, this will help with head angles etc, worth a browse.

Just looking at the image in needs some 'contrast' put back in, but not with Contrast, plus a couple of other tweaks and you are there. Personally it just looks a bit bright and so adjusting the Exposure sliders perhaps will give you a better rendition. Hopefully you use PS:
    - Open the image in PS go to Levels as an adjustment, dial in 7 on the black, that is what it needs just before it clips & not that it now touches the base line
    - Read the tutorial Rachel Hollander wrote on Luminosity adjs, add a layer and set the Opacity to 15% or what you think looks good, mask and apply
    - Add some Mid tone adj
    - Some more selective USM on the head
    - Add some Noise reduction to the background only
    - Finally, when saving for web output you need to give the file an embedded sRGB colour profile and not RGB.

Job done, hope this helps.

cheers
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it, but for some reason I've always been a sucker for head-on shots.

FYI, your bird is a Silvereye (assuming you shot this in NZ), one of a broad family of birds called White-eyes. Here's a wikipedia page on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvereye

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Paul Yes shot in NZ they don't sit still for long It was those eyes that got me
    Grahame