Thread: Pied Billed Grebe

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pied Billed Grebe

Taken at Shoreline Park. I got comments at another site that it wasn't sharp enough?? Maybe, I'm missing something, but it looks sharp to me? The only thing I could think of is that the tail of the bird isn't in the DOF, but that's a tradeoff, between the nice background separation, and getting the tail feathers perfectly sharp.

Camera: SONY
    Model: SLT-A77V
    ISO: 200
    Exposure: 1/640 sec
    Aperture: 7.1
    Focal Length: 400mm
    Flash Used: No

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grant! These Grebes are so sweet! The head/neck/bill/eye look pretty good to me ...maybe due to the lighting, the back of neck and back part of neck feathers may lack some detail.... I am ok with it tho.... I wouldn't want the tail to be in focus... it would draw your eye down and away. (you may, however, want to diminish the "whites" on the tail a TINY tad...but that would be your choice.) Beautiful color and comp! Has a great "feel". Well done!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grant - I always have a hard time (sometimes) judging sharpness at this size, but to me the head and neck seem sharp! I agree that I wouldn't want the tail in focus either. Beautiful background and placement in the frame. I also like these birds, and I love this pose. Very nice.
    Kevin

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Grant,

Looks sharp to me. Great background and subject. I did notice when I first saw the photo I was drawn to the head/eye and then was distracted by the bright tail feathers.

-Dave