Thread: White-throated Kingfisher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-throated Kingfisher

Attached Images Attached Images

I took this image of a white - throated kingfisher in a park that is known as "The Central Park of Tel Aviv". It has a large river running through it, and I've spotted several species of kingfishers here. For this image, I increased highlights and clarity slightly in LR, then moved it into PS where I cropped it, and, since the background was so busy, desaturated the greens and yellows. Then I painted them back in on the bird. In LR, and in the Tiff image in PS, the bird looked beautiful; but I think the IQ was degraded a bit when I saved it as a jpeg for the web.

Canon 7D, 300mm f/4 lens with 1.4 extender
    ISO 400, f 5/6, 1/400s

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy,

How much of the image did you crop? I also have the 7D and found when I crop a photo where the subject is smaller in the frame the subject does not retain good detail. When the subject is fairly large in the frame and I crop the detail on the subject remains good. I think i read somewhere it has to do with the sensor size and how many pixels are covering the subject. Not sure if you noticed it as well.

-Dave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I cropped out about 30% of the image (leaving about 60% intact). I haven't noticed that problem before with the 7D. I'm wondering if it has more to do with moving it from Lightroom to Photoshop, which I've just started doing. Although I'm not sure what the exact problem would be.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Wendy I agree that you have lost some IQ somewhere, where you some distance from the bird when you took the shot, think you have made a good job of the BG.

Keith.