Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Avocet in morning mist

Canon 7D
    Canon 500mm/4

1/2500sec f/4 ISO 800

CS6, Noiseware Pro

I wrestled with the position of the Avocet in the frame and decided on symmetry.

Name:  _MG_4735-XL.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  58.5 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ian! I think your choice of placement and comp are very good, especially since it is pretty much "head on". Water droplets make this special...some really cool reflections within them! BG and FG are super... make it serene and a bit "moody". I've not seen an Avocet, so had to check it out in my guides.... He/she looks rather dark...and maybe blends into the environment a bit too much? What do you think about "boosting the bird"... a little? Your image is SO clean! (just maybe clone out the three tiny white spots on the left side). Very beautiful!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What Sandy said! I love it as a centered subject! You say CS6 but was it a RAW file and with what processing? I like the calm peacefulness but wonder if it is a bit lacking in midtone contrast, and wonder if more can be brought out without blowing out the lovely highlights. ACR / LR have wonderful abilities here but I don't know what you have done already,thus whether you can do more...

But as to your question -- I love the crop as presented!

4. Thanks Sandy Witvoet thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian, I love the "moody" feeling in this image, as well as the background and the water droplets. I also like the placement of the avocet. I agree that the avocet seems a tad dark, but overall, great job!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, folks. Diane, I only shoot RAW. I used CS6 here basically just for a bit of crop for composition and some levels adjustment as well as sharpening on the bird. I used Noiseware Pro for BG noise. I'll play a bit more with contrast and see how it works out.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nothing to add here Ian. Just to say what a lovely image !