Thread: God Beams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default God Beams

Attached Images Attached Images

So the morning turn out much better then I thought it would after almost heading home on two separate occasions I had a wonderful sunrise with some awesome colors . Now I am ready to leave as the sun is up and the color is fading from the sky so I grab my tripod and start to walk up the beach when i notice some god beams starting to form as the sun slides behind the cloud bank could I really be this lucky. I set up another composition and start to taking images alternating the exposure for the sky and the beach as the clouds become backlit and the beams radiate towards the heavens. I have been working some crazy hours lately and do not get out to photograph as much as I would like so when I get a morning like this I truly appreciate it.

Canon 6D, 17-40 f/4 at 17mm, .8s at f/16 for the sky and 2s at f/16 for the beach, Manual Exposure, Evaluative Metered, ISO 50, Tripod, Two image blend usual PS and Nik filters applied.
    Last edited by Don Lacy; 01-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful morning sunrise Lacy! Thanks for sharing it, every time I see one of your coastal sunrise shots, I think to myself that I really need to get out there! Congrats.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Redd View Post
    Beautiful morning sunrise Lacy! Thanks for sharing it, every time I see one of your coastal sunrise shots, I think to myself that I really need to get out there! Congrats.
    Tom you are always welcome to come on over to the East coast the next time you are in Florida I will gladly show you around. I talked to Sid the other day we are planning to come out to Colorado again for Mountain Goats hopefully I will see you soon either way.
    Don Lacy
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it as is, but wonder what it would have looked like with a higher percentage sky instead of emphasis on the shore and water. (Maybe the sky is not interesting above your cutoff, but I wonder. Still, this is a wall hanger.

Robert Amoruso

Don,

Great shot - you know I am going to like it.

Why not us split ND filters to balance the exposure in lieu of blending two images?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is really nice Don. I am fine with the land/sky split, just the right water movement (SS) and the pastel tones are lovely.
    How about this RP showing more midtone contrast and darkened the light tones a bit overall?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why not us split ND filters to balance the exposure in lieu of blending two images?
    Robert, My 2 stop grad is not always strong enough and since money is tight right now I started blending images and have really like the results. For one I no longer have a darken foreground subject if it is higher then the horizon I can mask it out as needed, I am also able to ETTR the foreground exposure which helps with shadow detail on a Canon sensor.

How about this RP showing more midtone contrast and darkened the light tones a bit overall?
    Looks good Morkel will consider that aproach when I go to print it.
    Don Lacy

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, beautiful work...I love the water swirling around the foreground rocks...prefer Morkel's slightly darker version a little more...for scenes like this I will usually opt for my 3-stop reverse grad.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don
    A wonderful seascape which connects with the viewer…

I prefer the OP as Morkels whites are just too dark for me, And the image would be just as successful in B&W….

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good point Peter - I should have dodged the whites after toning down overall
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the repost, Don and another fine photo from you.
    The light beam is nice and a nice sky.
    The water either needed to be slower for faster for my taste. Just personal, as stylized water always is.
    Dan Kearl