Thread: Shooting in San Diego area next week (Jan 13-16)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shooting in San Diego area next week (Jan 13-16)

We are planning a very short notice trip to San Diego Jan 13-16. I'll do the pelicans in La Jolla -- have Artie's guide -- unfortunately can't match the times of his workshop, though. Understand the zoo is worthwhile. Any other suggestions? Is Santee Lakes good -- and if so, any suggestions of where to be when? I've never been to San Diego and don't know the area at all.

Thanks!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There are numerous water and shore birds that frequent the San Diego River. Take the 8 West from the 5 Fwy and take the first off ramp (Mission Bay Drive). Next to the off ramp, you will see an area to pull over and a gate. If you're lucky, the gate will be open, and you can drive in and to the bike path and park along there. If not, park and walk in. If you plan to arrive when the light first hits the water, the sun will be at your back and light the birds beautifully. I used a 400mm lens on a Nikon D300 and that was barely enough, so 600mm would be advisable on FF. I have posted a map of the area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Paul! I'll have both the 300 f/2.8 and the 600 f/4, with TC's, for my Canon 5D3 so I should be good. Will check it out!