Thread: Stormy Lighthouse

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stormy Lighthouse

Hi everyone, i`ve been more active on the eager to learn forum with birds but one of my interests is also landscapes.

This is the first i post here on the landscapes forum and would love to hear your opinions and thoughts.

Stormy Lighthouse por Patacão, no Flickr

This was made with the sigma 10-20mm at 10mm f11, 13s. Filters used: Hitech 0.6 grad HE and 0.9 full.
    The processing was made in LR and PS, darkened a bit the sky, sharpened and curves.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great scene, with just the right mix of cloud detail. I like the composition that put the lighthouse at a distance. I'm not sure, but I"d play with the highlights on the left and see how it looks with them toned down a little.

When I click through to Flickr to view full-screen, the lighthouse is leaning to the right and the water horizon on the left is off a degree or so the same direction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice overall composition and detail. I agree with David that bringing down the highlights on the left side may give you a little more detail. The stormy clouds are terrific.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting -- different and very nice! The sky is wonderful, but I would also like to see the left side darker, with more detail. There does seem to be some wide-angle distortion. The lighthouse and horizon, as David mentioned, but it looks like the roof is sloping the other way. Distortion of that sort is not that hard to correct. It might take a combination of the lens profile in LR (if one is available) and some work in the manual tab there. If that isn't enough, Edit > Transform > Distort or Warp in PS will finish it off.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice composition...! looks great although I agree with fixing the lighthouse lean and adding detail to the bright shoreline.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Luis, Wonderful comp here I like how the leading lines draw the viewers eye to the lighthouse a nd the nice curve of the cliff. I know at 13s exposure there is not much detail in the water but to my eye it is to bright pulling the viewers eye from the lighthiuse I would tone the whites down to better balance the tonalities in the image.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Luis, agree with toning down the bright sections and I may even try to add some additional contrast to the clouds. Good tips on the Lighthouse too. A few tweaks and it will look great...welcome to the Landscape Forum!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to all for the great feedback. Here i should have also made a slightly darker exposure to maybe blend the highlights, as is i will try to tone them down.

Regarding the leaning of the lighthouse, main cause was the sigma 10-20 at 10mm, and the angle of view i`ve chosen. I did fix part of it in PP, but not completely.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Interesting -- different and very nice! The sky is wonderful, but I would also like to see the left side darker, with more detail. There does seem to be some wide-angle distortion. The lighthouse and horizon, as David mentioned, but it looks like the roof is sloping the other way. Distortion of that sort is not that hard to correct. It might take a combination of the lens profile in LR (if one is available) and some work in the manual tab there. If that isn't enough, Edit > Transform > Distort or Warp in PS will finish it off.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!
    Thanks for the feedback and continuous help provided Diane. I really appreciate it, and my experience here in BPN so far has been very rewarding.