Thread: Middle Spotted Woodpecker

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Middle Spotted Woodpecker

Hello,

this was a absolutely highlight. The Middle Spotted Woodpecker is very rare.
    In the first moment i thought it is the great spotted woodpecker.
    But no it is Middle Spotted Woodpecker. On my bird feeding place. Juhuuuuuuu.
    It remains only very briefly. I can make only nine pictures. Then he flew away
    I am so happy. And i hope he comes back.

Name:  Mittelspecht_0002.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  159.2 KB

Canon 1D MKIV * Canon 800 5.6 * f/6.3 * 1/1000s * ISO 800 * Berlebach * Sachtler

Happy New Year to all!

Holger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the sharpness, exposure, perch and clean BG> I would tone down the lower part of the trunk and crop a little looser if this is not full frame. Hope you get another opportunity. Nice image Holger.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats, Holger, on getting a rarity. I can imagine the thrill having a rare bird visit your feeder.
    Light seems to have been tricky. The shadows suggest that the bird was side lit, but you've handled it well.
    Like the composition as well. Hope this bird returns to your feeder and gives you many opportunities. Happy new year to you as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can understand your excitement at catching such a rare bird. The picture clearly documents the bird but the harsh sidelight makes it very high contrast and reduces the aesthetic value for me.

When I first read Artie Morris's "Art of Bird Photography" I was skeptical when he talked about how critical light angle is. After trying to ignore his suggestions for a few years I've decided he is right! The following quote has been very helpful to me:
    The major flaws in at least three-quarters of the images of birds presented during BIRDS AS ART Instructional Photo-Tour critiquing sessions involve either improper light angle or improper head-angle (or both).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the head angle. It looks like he is doing something or looking for something. I agree with including a little more of the background especially the tree to help with the idea of the bird searching the tree.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on this rare sighting. Besides the harsh light is a cool capture. TFS