CS6 Noiseware Pro

Name:  _MG_1672-XL.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  72.1 KB

Bosque del Apache NWR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ian- Image portrays what the harriers do nicely. The basics are there but I think we need to figure out way so boosting the appeal of the image. As presented, the subject is small and quite dark and there's not a lot going on in the FG or BG. I see some nice colours in the sky which you could use to your advantage by increasing Vibrance. Perhaps a slightly different crop would work better- e.g., taking some off the right and putting the subject closer to the edge of the frame. Anyway, it's an interesting exercise to see what you can do.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What was your processing? -- from the RAW file especially. Could you lighten the bird and darken the sky a little more? Noise can be a problem in lightening the darker tones, so maybe that's not a good option.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  _MG_1672.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  322.0 KB

I brightened the bird a bit with Nik Viveza. Then masked him and worked on the background with levels. Added a bit of NR on the BG with Noiseware Pro and tightened the crop in CS6.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The BG is nice but this is pushing IQ on the bird. And with this size of subject it would be very difficult to get clean masking, too.

For me, the tighter crop just emphasizes the large space between the bird and the OOF bush/tree, which I think does contribute to the image. If anything, I would move the bird down quite a bit, then crop some off the top. Content-aware move might do it. But for some uses of course you wouldn't alter an image like that.

I also see the second image is in AdobeRGB. Even though you've embedded the profile, it's safest to convert to sRGB so the widest audience, with a range of browsers, will see it as accurately as possible.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 12-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colours Ian!