Thread: Crested Crane

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crested Crane

Hello, I am a new subscriber and would like to have the membership critique my bird photo (Crested Crane) taken at Wildlife Safari in Winston, Oregon. Nikon D7000 with 18-200mm, ISO 100

http://www.tj622.com/images/Web-Larg...01250X1200.jpg

Ignore the size listed for the image, It should 1200 or less on each side.

Thanks for your input...Terry Johnson

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Terry.

Perfect exposure Terry. Is this captive or wild? I'm surprised by those green grasses.

If this is wild, then the environmental nature of the grassland is interesting; otherwise, I'd like to its head clearly, without the grasses.

You seem to have nailed the exposure this time, but it'd be nice to know the technical data for the shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave the image of the Crested Crane was taken in a wildlife preserve in Oregon called Wildlife Safari. The image was taken with a Nikon D7000, ISO-100, F5.6, 200mm, 1/320 of a second. It was taken through the window of the car.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dave, here is another photo of the same crested crane, with his head clear of the grasses.

http://www.tj622.com/images/170-Bird-2-small.jpg

Terry Johnson

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I posted this image as a test to myself on how to upload an image to this site. If you would like to comment, I would appreciate your critique. Taken with a Nikon D7000, ISO-100, 200mm, 1/320 of a second. Location Wildlife Safari park and reserve, Oregon

Thanks for your input...Terry Johnson

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Terry, and welcome!

Good to see you were able to upload directly. For the future, people are asked to post a different image in a new thread. Modifications of one belong in the same thread.

Nice exposure, pose, composition and sharpness here. You might experiment with the hue and saturation of the grass -- it is competing with the crane, for me. It also helps critique if you give processing details.

Hope to see more of your work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Terry and let me give you another welcome to BPN. We look forward to many more submissions. I will comment on the image that you attached. You did a great job with exposure on this. The pose is very pleasing and it is nice and sharp. I agree with Diane that the grass color is a bit over-powering and could be resolved with a bit of hue/saturation work.

Thanks for sharing! Great job!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian, what did you and Diane have in mind with respect to the grass? Change the color, soften the color, I need a little more explanation.

Thanks again for critiquing...Terry Johnson

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Terry. To me, the VERY bright green grass pulls the eye from your main subject - the Crane. I'm not great at this in processing, but I think decreasing the strength of the green (reducing the saturation) on the grass would make the viewer's focus shift to the bird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Terry- ever since I saw this species as a kid in a zoo in England, I've been in love with them. One day I'll see one in the wild! I like the second image more than the first. In the second, the package deal of outstanding colour, detail and exposure make for a very pleasing image. I think the sharpening level may be a bit too high. I see some pixelation artifacts in the neck feathers that may be caused by sharpening.

Anyway, really look forward to seeing more images from you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Johnson View Post
    Ian, what did you and Diane have in mind with respect to the grass? Change the color, soften the color, I need a little more explanation.

Thanks again for critiquing...Terry Johnson

In PS, make a Hue-Sat adjustment layer and reduce the saturation of Green and Yellow somewhat (greens are often mostly yellows) and then tweak the Hue slider for each channel slightly away from the greener values. It will be a back-and-forth balancing act. Since there is yellow in the bird you will probably need to paint a mask to block the changes on it.

You can do the same color adjustments in Lightroom or ACR in the HSL panel, before you go to PS. But it isn't easy to mask the bird there in a case like this.

But you haven't given any processing info -- knowing that is as important as the camera info. for critique here. Was it shot in RAW? Then what software was used and what did you adjust?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    In PS, make a Hue-Sat adjustment layer and reduce the saturation of Green and Yellow somewhat (greens are often mostly yellows) and then tweak the Hue slider for each channel slightly away from the greener values. It will be a back-and-forth balancing act. Since there is yellow in the bird you will probably need to paint a mask to block the changes on it.

You can do the same color adjustments in Lightroom or ACR in the HSL panel, before you go to PS. But it isn't easy to mask the bird there in a case like this.

But you haven't given any processing info -- knowing that is as important as the camera info. for critique here. Was it shot in RAW? Then what software was used and what did you adjust?

I made the adjustments to the 'crested crane' image a couple of years ago, however, I usually take all images in 'raw' and process them Photoshop CS6 and do the following adjustments to most images:

General Adjustments:

Ruler - to level image
    Levels - to adjust the exposure to fill the histogram
    Levels - to set the white balance using the white eye-dropper
    Shadows and highlights - to remove the 'hotspots', to remove the 'shadows'
    Filters - sharpen as needed, blur as needed
    Hue-Saturation - as needed
    Vibrance - as needed
    Exposure - as needed
    Contrast - as needed
    Clone and healing - as needed
    Lasso and Magic wand - for selecting areas for editing
    Perspective and Crop - as needed

I use Nikon ViewNX for shadow protection often, as it does a better job than CS6 I also, prefer the lightroom extension in CS6 for removing noise prior to importing into CS6

My wife was kind enough to purchase a Nikon D800 and the F2.8 set of zoom lens for me for Christmas so I am anxious to try out the larger format.

Thank you Diane and Ian for your input, I will play around with the image and your suggestions and then repost...Terry Johnson

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK -- congratulations on the new equipment -- we'll look forward to seeing what you're getting with it!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crested Crane with adjustments

Diane and Ian, I selected the crane using the selection tool in CS6, inverted the selection, used hue/saturation and pulled overall color back. Also introduced some blur to the inverted image.

Let me know what you think...Terry Johnson

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello, how do I thank members for their response and have it show up in the 'thank you post' category?

Thanks...Terry Johnson

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your repost looks good -- what I had in mind. Green grass can be a problem, as can reds-yellows. It usually takes a combination of Hue and Saturation to tame them, for me. Often the first step in LR/ACR is choosing a different camera Profile. Too bad they've hidden it in the last tab -- Camera Calibration.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane, thanks for the heads up on the LR/ACR Camera tab. I am not familiar with that item. I will take a look.

Also, thanks for your advice on the picture procesing. I will be more aware in my next image edit.

Last item, how do I say thanks and have it show in my 'Thank You' tab

Thanks...Terry Johnson

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry -- I meant to add -- have no idea about the Thank Yous -- I never think to use them. Someone can help, I'm sure.