Exposure 0.002 sec (1/640)
    Aperture f/8.0
    Focal Length 500 mm
    ISO Speed 400
    Exposure Bias +1/3 EV

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, perhaps your best image with the 7D. Good clarity, detail and sharpness, well done.

Personally leaning over the branch is perhaps not the best pose, but you know exactly whats happening with the birds posture, HA and open beak, great to get the catchlight in the eye. I would suggest a 16x9 crop, go tighter in top & bottom, but using the full width as presented and have the top of the branch hitting the corner, being on the diagonal gives a strong comp. Although bright I don't feel the BKG is too distracting. Techs look good too.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I agree with Steve, techs and pp look great here with nice detail, sharpness and clarity. I also agree about the pose and trying the alternate crop. Nice colors too. Well done.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose is not ideal in that it puts so much of the bird out of focus, but it is an interesting view. The leaves are very pretty but do compete a lot with the bird, both in size and color -- it could be worthwhile to play with their hue and saturation a little.

Cropping from the top and bottom could remove a lot of that distraction. I see 16x9 mentioned here a lot. Why not 16x7 or 20x11 or whatever is most pleasing with the subject? Why not just say "panoramic"? 16x9 is the ratio for widescreen video, but I'm curious if there something special about it for some publications or other outlets that makes it so widely recommended here?