Thread: Image Noise reduction process in PS-cs6

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Image Noise reduction process in PS-cs6

Anyone help me how to reduce noise from image without losing detail on target.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find different images often respond a little differently. The first thing to do is prevent as much noise as you can, by keeping the exposure s high as possible without blowing highlights beyond recovery. Lightening dark tones can bring out noise even at ISO 100.

If you use Canon, their Digital Photo Pro software can do the best job of holding noise down in initial processing, but many Lightroom users find it has workflow drawbacks for routine use. Once you create noise by various processing steps in PS, Nik's Dfine sometimes does a very good job, as does Neat Image. Often, with either, fine detail will be preserved so it isn't necessary to mask. But that is in situations where the noise isn't too much of a mess to start with.

But the best thing is prevention -- removing noise isn't easy.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too have wondered how people are selectively reducing noise to sections of a photo and not others.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to help Diane, I will try to keep my exposure high
    one more question: could you please suggest me some good custom setting for 7D, I am new user 7D.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Viklund View Post
    I too have wondered how people are selectively reducing noise to sections of a photo and not others.
    Dave, layers and masks in PS will help you to achieve this.

Example: Selective noise reduction on a animal

1 - Duplicate background layer
    2 - Apply noise reduction while focusing on the animal
    3 - Apply a layer mask to the copy layer
    4 - Paint to show only the part you want

This will ensure that the visible NR applies only to the chosen parts.
    Also this is certainly not the only formula to achieve the same result, but its the one i know and can talk about.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Luis, I will give that a try

Dave Viklund

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I haven't used the 7D, but many others here do -- I hope they will offer some advice. You should post that question in the forum for General Photography Discussion or Photography Gear. More people are likely to see it there.

The general advice is to read the manual for things that may be new to you, such as the AF system. Every camera will have noise problems above some certain ISO. Noise issues have been discussed a lot for the 7D in other posts here -- you might slog through those two forums and see what you can find. It's always a balancing act between noise ISO), shutter speed and depth of field (aperture). And it will vary with different shooting situations.

I've found Douglas Klostermann's manual to be very helpful for the 5D3, and would expect the same of his 7D manual:
    http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/

Arash Hazhegi, who posts here, has a guide for flight photography that includes information on the 7D:
    http://ari1982.smugmug.com/Other/Gui...4365&k=MQqpb8s

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Diane; it's a great help to me, I will post on general photography for more details on 7d setting, I will try the Arash setting on my camera.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Viklund View Post
    Dave- I find the easiest way to do this is to use Quickmask as follows:

1. press q for Quickmask. Press b for the Brush tool
    2. Choose a soft (0 hardness) brush of the right size. Set flow and opacity to 100%
    3. Paint over the area of the image you do not want to touch
    4. Press q to exit Quickmask
    5. You will see the area of the image not masked will be selected and anything you now do to the image such as NR is done just to the selection
    6. If you want to save the selection for the future, go to the Select menu and choose Save selection

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As Luis mentioned above, I like to make a duplicate of the BG layer (or other pixel layer, or composite layer), do the de-noise operation on the whole layer then mask it as needed. Then I can refine the masked area later also if needed Sometimes the mask is not so critical with noise removal, as it's edges are sometimes not that obvious.

This Quick Mask method outlined by John is also very useful for precise selections for any adjustment that is available as a layer. Make the selection as described then make the adjustment layer and it will be masked, Then you can edit the mask with the brushes as needed. Often after doing the adjustment you'll see small tweaks that need to be made to the affected area.

After painting the mask you may need to inverse it -- or you can reset the default by double-clicking the QM icon in the Toolbar.

Here's a quick tutorial:
    http://www.adorama.com/alc/0008106/a...ual-fill-flash
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 12-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.