Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grouse /Snow.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon d7000
    Nikon 300ml 2.8

1/250@f7.1 iso 500.

Tried to take this image in a blizzard a couple of years ago ,apart from being frozen I did not have a clue how to deal with these conditions and would really like to know how others would go about a shot like this and also although I know my image is far ,far from perfect is it worth trying to work on it or just show it and others I have got the way to the bin.
    Must say I do like this sort of image if I had the skill and knowledge to get it right.

Thanks for looking and the tips you gave me on my last post.
    Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll let the bird photographers weigh in on the shooting part, but I certainly don't think it's hopeless. The BG is quite artistic, and I really like the OF stuff to the right of the bird's head, as a balancing element. The exposure looks good and I like the DOF. The blowing snow between you and the bird is a little distracting, but it does show the conditions. I would go back to the RAW file and see if I could extract more shadow detail from the bird. And there is something odd right below the tip of the beak -- maybe a blowing snowflake? Maybe that can be cloned out.

Maybe a faster SS would have made the blowing snow less of a major component.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith you have the right SS for the snow to 'capture' it, but you cannot leave the metering to the camera, it will be fooled, you have to meter differently in these conditions. Good to see you exploring things but the D4 will be the killer now.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane/Steve thanks for your tips this forum gives me the answers that I need, Diane i think that may be a bit of snow under it's beak, Steve I am not sure I could manage manual metering with my one and a half eyes but we will see, if you will excuse the pun

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve I am not sure I could manage manual metering with my one and a half eyes but we will see,
    Yes you can, it's quite easy in these conditions, just give that half eye a buffing.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, I like this image personally. The bit under the beak looks like ice or snow to me; that adds to the image for me. Would it be possible to bring out a little more color in the hind quarters of the grouse?

Dave Viklund

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very unique image. Love the fast-moving snow!!!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook