Thread: Bowling Ball Beach

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bowling Ball Beach

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a beach up the coast from San Francisco about 100 miles. When there is a very low tide these rocks are exposed. The bigger ones are maybe 3-4 ft across. Shot a few days ago in boring, foggy light, so I converted to B/W.

Canon 5D3, 24-70 f/2.8 at 28. Singh-Ray VariND, ISO 100, f/22, 20 sec.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane - the conversion works very well here. Nice dof too. I imagine it's tough to get a clean border at the bottom and presume there were more rocks below. If not then I would prefer to have the entire rocks included there rather than cut off. I would back off on the detail extractor on the water between the rocks.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The composition here was a difficult choice. Going wider to get the FG rocks entirely in the frame showed a lot of unattractive debris, and there was always another rock behind me to the left.

I see that I let the horizon drop off toward the left edge, too -- I'll go back to the file and fix that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane

I like the gap (almost) in the rocks leading the eye up to the cliffs.. Nice detail, and good DOF noted. I am wondering if a bit more contrast is in order??? I struggle with B&W as bit (most other things too..!) so its just something I would play with more than what I think might improve..

regards

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The B&W conversion works well with this. The detail in the FG rocks is pleasing and the sweep of the cliff on the right is nice. De-emphasizing the sky is a good idea here. You started with less than ideal light and ended up with a nice, balanced image with interesting details.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had tried more contrast and it just didn't seem consistent with the foggy light. Good to think about things like that, though!

A factor I try to always consider isn't "what it looked like" but how it looks to someone who wasn't there -- what do I want to convey. I think that's a black art.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane,

I like the boulders on the beach. Even when it is a foggy day
    My take on this would be, add a Mid-Tone, a tad more drama and may darken the sky more. Btw, in the sky I saw 2-3 dust bunnies.

Have a great eve

Ciao
    Anette

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whatever "tone or contrast" you decide on here Diane...you made fine art out of cold soup! A well done is in order. I love the foreground rocks and the "cool" temp of the water on the right side. It has lots of details and tones. this would make a great wall hanger. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone! I found several dust bunnies on the master file -- fixed now -- I usually try to be more careful. Going right now to clean the sensor.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane, lovely scene...I love the boulders and the arrangement of them within the comp. My first thought was more contrast...but I think the amount of contrast one likes in B&W is more of a personal preference. Very nice!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Andrew. The histogram does show soft contrast and it could be tweaked up a bit, or just in the midtones as Anette suggested.

One factor we can't control, in addition to preference, that some folks will have some variation in their monitors. There are a lot of pitfalls in calibration, as there are in viewing colors on the web. Fortunately, there is also the factor that our brains re-calibrate the view to some extent -- in other words, we get used to the state of our systems.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

True enough...I forgot to say thanks for posting the Firefox info...I was able to set my browser up as you instructed...even with my computer illiteracy and technically challenged brain

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You're welcome. I'm fleshing that document out with more BG info, and talking to Michael Gerald-Yamasaki about possible updated information for some browsers.

I hope to post an update soon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Diane, I like the contrast as is - it seems to convey the feeling of a foggy day.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Diane. I like this as is.
    Chris

0 .· ` ' / ·. 100
    I have a high sarcasm rate. Deal with it.
    include('sarcasm.php')

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition and thinking here, Diane. Conversion was a good idea but it needs brighter whites and deeper blacks (more tonal range/contrast) for me? Worth experimenting and seeing if you like it. Just a bit too much "grey" for my tastes.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the capture, comp and crop. It must have been pretty lightless to expose for 20 seconds.
    Bill Jobes

www.billjobes.com

My BPN Gallery

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Lens

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Bill. I was using a Singh-Ray Vari-ND to blur the waves, which were distracting. Going too far with that filter gives an irritating cross pattern of darker/lighter tones so I couldn't go as far as I wanted in this case. The light was just average fog, about 2 hours before sunset.

That pattern is something that is easy to overlook through the viewfinder, but going to live View really shows it. I need to get a stronger straight ND.