Thread: Steller's Jay in Idyllwild, California

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Steller's Jay in Idyllwild, California

Attached Images Attached Images

I took up photography last August, and photographing birds a month ago. I had wanted to capture some images close to my home, and keep a camera at the ready next to the front door. It paid off this morning. I heard jays squawking off the front porch. Grabbed the camera.

Back focus. I kept continuous focus as I searched for jays through the leaves and finally got this shot. Of course the camera was focusing on leaves most of the time.

Canon 1DX, 300mm f/4 with 1.4X TC. At 420mm, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 3200. Manual mode with ISO set to automatic. Hand held. Shade. 10:00 am. Cold! No crop. Retouching in LR: exposure, clarity, contrast, cloned dust spots out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, especially remarkable for such a short time working at it!! Great sharpness and detail -- maybe a little tight on composition. It's always a balancing act to get lots of pixels on the subject vs. enough room for it. The white sky isn't ideal, but birds are difficult to reason with.

Good catch -- keep them coming!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Diane. That's the kind of response I was hoping for: one or two ideas that I can work on. I had a bit of anxiety about getting my feet wet, but now I'm eager to do more.
    J K

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK -- keep at it -- this is a great place to learn, and you'll learn to sort thru a variety of opinions to form your own style.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim! REALLY well done on exposure! Especially with the environmental BG.... this beautiful bird could use a bit (maybe more than a bit) more room.... especially on the right side (needs more "look-into" room) ...but some all around too...if you have it to spare!. (Big isn't always better.) Great detail, great head angle. You may want to tone down the bright BG segments. So great to see you post here!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am afraid I don't have anything smart to contribute at this point but I like the picture very much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sandy, thank you ever so much for your comments. There is some good material for me to learn from. Value. I'm afraid there's not any more room, as the image isn't cropped. I could have backed up some as I was on my front porch. The big issue for me is anxiety: "press the shutter release before the bird flies away." I think with experience I'll calm down!

And Joaquin, I think your comment is not only smart, but brilliant! Thank you.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim people of course have different views on how big the bird should be in the frame yours certainly does fill the frame, but it does show some excellent detail. Agree with you when you get the bird in focus you just fire away.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent capture! I'd agree with Diane on the composition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

And Diane is right, of course. I am so grateful for all the responses.