Thread: Spoonbills - Where to find around Tampa and Fort Meyers

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spoonbills - Where to find around Tampa and Fort Meyers

Hi! Where is the best place for spoonbill pictures around both Tampa and Fort Meyers? I will be there Thursday-Saturday. Thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is not an easy question because it can vary from day today or week to week. Right now the best place to probably find them is Myakka River State Park in Sarasota Florida. However this park is not easy to navigate because it is so large and there is several places that they could be. If you would ask me a week ago I would've had the perfect spot for you but the birds of now all left.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Marina gave you some good info.. However, if you do take a trip to Myakka State Park, follow the Main road to the Concession Area where the Air Boats Rides are, go pass the Resturant/Gift Shop to the parking lot along the edge of the lake. Turn left and go to the end of the parking lot. At the end of the parking lot, there is a trail that leads down to the Dam.. If there is any sure fire area for Spoonbills, it will be around the Dam area..

One note of caution... Beware of the Black and Turkey Vultures in the area of the parking lot. They will (1) eat the rubber stripping from around your doors and windows on your vehicle, and (2) you will probably need a car wash as soon as you leave the Park. Until you get the car wash, you will not be a very popular fellow at the parking areas in the park.. :-) :-)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Long Late Update!

We ended up going to Bunche Beach, and got there after sunrise because we were not feeling well. We saw no spoonbills, and actually saw almost nothing much, just a Grea tBlue Heron, a Little Blue, a White Little Blue, and a Willet, and some unrecognizable shorebirds. It was quite hot and stuff just wasn't feeling it. We went to Six Mile Cypress, in search of whatever, and saw a few Glossy Ibises, and a Belted Kingfisher, and a few Snowy Egrets.

Will have to make my way to Myakka at some point...

Thanks for the replies!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Look up Little Estero Lagoon which is located on Fort Myers beach. I used to live near there, and every time I have been there I have seen spoon bills, there is also a spot in Fort Myers, the cross roads are Metro Park Way and Six Mile Cypress, a small lake across from the Grove, very unpopular spot but definitely a hot spot for spoon bills, white pelicans, and there's always a surprise there just don't try and go during summer unless you have waders.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the information! I looked on google maps... Is the pond on the South East corner of the intersection you referenced?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCallahan View Post
    Thanks for the information! I looked on google maps... Is the pond on the South East corner of the intersection you referenced?
    Yes Chris that's correct, also the best time to go there is a couple of hours before sunset.