Thread: Juvenile black headed gull - last one

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile black headed gull - last one

Hi everyone, this is the last of the small reflections series on the black headed gull and this time a juvenile in its nice winter plumage.

Coments and critiques apreciated!

I`m looking good por Patacão, no Flickr

Info:

D7000 + 70-300mm VR, shot at 300mm f/5.6
    Adjustments in LR(and thanks to Diane Miller, the workflow improved) included:
    - clarity, vibrance and a bit of saturation
    - fill light
    - Cropped, around 70% of the original (i have some dificulties finding this %)

In Photoshop, resized, sharpen and denoise.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose!! Looks very sharp. The whites look good, and well separated from the water. The darkest tones might be just a little darker than I would choose, but it's a difficult choice to get shadow detail without losing too much contrast. That's something that will evolve as you continue to process images.

I get my % crop by multiplying the horizontal and vertical pixels, and dividing that into the number from the original capture. Kind of interesting to compare to my guess.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Luis

I like this photo and and really like the nice clean foreground and background, and also the composition. To me the front wing looks sharper than the head and I wonder if this is where you focus was.

Iain

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, it's sharp. Great reflection, the contrast might be a little high for me but that can be toned down. Good job on the whites being white.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Great pose!! Looks very sharp. The whites look good, and well separated from the water. The darkest tones might be just a little darker than I would choose, but it's a difficult choice to get shadow detail without losing too much contrast. That's something that will evolve as you continue to process images.

I get my % crop by multiplying the horizontal and vertical pixels, and dividing that into the number from the original capture. Kind of interesting to compare to my guess.
    Thanks for the advice and tip on the crop % Diane.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Barker View Post
    Hi Luis

I like this photo and and really like the nice clean foreground and background, and also the composition. To me the front wing looks sharper than the head and I wonder if this is where you focus was.

Iain
    Hi Ian and thanks for the support. I can`t confirm this right now but yes, i believe the focus was on the closest wing, but i believe that your feeling can also be caused by the amout of light hiting the wing vs the lower amount of light hiting the head. I will check this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomroper View Post
    Nice image, it's sharp. Great reflection, the contrast might be a little high for me but that can be toned down. Good job on the whites being white.
    Thanks tom, the whites are super important!