Thread: First Post, Looking for Feedback

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default First Post, Looking for Feedback

Attached Images Attached Images

This is my first post to BPN. I've been lurking and reading for a while and finally ready to make my first post for some feedback.

I shot this GBH yesterday feeding near sunset. Here's the settings Canon 5DM2 400/5.6 handheld - 1/250 @ f5.6 ISO 1600.
    Post was basic RAW conversion in Lightroom 5 and finished in PS CC with NIK Dfine applied to background, Curves to bring down some of the highlights in the foreground and darken the background, used gradient masks. NIK Sharpener to GBH only.

I'm not fond of the bubble on the moving water. Thoughts, comments?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tom! I'm new to this too... so take any of my comments "with a grain of salt"! I LOVE GBH's, and to find them in a relatively clean environment here in the midwest is a real plus! By "bubble", are you referring to all the "bubbles"? ... or just the bigger one on the right? I do like the bird's posture and subdued reflection...looks like you have some unfavorable light which it taking its toll on both the bird and the "stuff" in the water. I am having a bit of a problem figuring out what the light blobby thing is that traverses the top of the image. How big of a crop was this?
    Congrats on your first image post! I'm sure others will be stopping by to comment too.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Sandy,

Yes, all the bubbles. The shot was taken on a part of the river where the water level was fairly low and I could walk out towards the GBH, the sun was setting to the side, almost behind the bird, which is the reason for the light in front. I realize the optimum shot would have been having the bird front lit.
    The clean backgrounds are hard to find, the lighter blob towards the back is the start of the bank on the other side.

The crop is less than 50% for comp.

I tried to blur the back ground and some other things for the bubbles but it didn't look 'right'

While I realize this isn't the greatest shot I was pretty happy being able get as close as I did and see this bird feed. I'll keep working towards the clean backgrounds I see so much of that I love.

4. Thanks Sandy Witvoet thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tom:

Welcome to BPN!

It is a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer.

I like the birds angle in frame (angling towards us a bit) and the small stick.

The colors in the image work well with the bird's colors.

The bubbles are distracting, as our eye is drawn to areas of high contrast.

If there were just a few, they could be cloned out, but it would be a lot of work here.

Look forward to future posts!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tom welcome to the forum.
    I like the colours you Jane in the image and the pose of the bird. The detail also looks quite good on the bird. To me it feels a bit tight at the top and I would crop less for there and maybe more for the bottom. For the bubbles I wonder if reducing the highlights would help as I think they are only distracting as they are lighter than everything else. Yoy may even be able to use the burn tool to darken them.

Iain

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice first post -- hope to see more! I might consider cropping a little closer to minimize the bubbles, but they are part of the environment and not that bad to have in the picture.

It looks like the bird might have been a little sharper, especially the head -- getting close can be key for that. Not always possible but something to think about. The shutter speed could be a little low for handholding at that focal length -- a tiny bit of shake or subject movement can cause the loss of some sharpness.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tom... Sandy again..... It just occurred to me that I had photographed "my" Loons this past Fall in a similar (but actually worse) lighting situation..... I realized that the "bubbles" weren't really bubbles... they were specular highlights from "water stuff" reflecting back into the lens..... REALLY had wanted to post that pic, but mine were fewer but MUCH more pronounced than yours. What do you think if you cropped just the "dark" part off the top? Perhaps it would reduce the feeling of contrast there?
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.