Thread: Update on Venice Rookery & Myakka State Park

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Update on Venice Rookery & Myakka State Park

I went to the Venice Rookery and Myakka State Park yesterday and found the following..

1. Venice Rookery... I was really dissapointed in the Venice Rookery.. There was only two or three active Great Blue Heron nests and only one or two Aghingas in breeding plumage. The were several Moorhens, a Little Green Heron, and several Great White Egrets flying around, but that was it. The Rookery itself, was in my opinion, in pretty bad shape, with half of the island looking like someone had sprayed the Brazilian Pepper Berry bushes with insecticide. Half of the bushes on the Rookery appeared dead, with just bare branches and limbs left.. I got some good images of baby Great Blue Herons in the two active nests, but that was it. I hope that I was just a little early and that the Rookery will come back to its former condition..

2. Myakka State Park.... After the Rookery, I went to the Myakka State Park and although I got there a little late, I did get some great images. I saw Deer, Wild Hogs, several flocks of Wild Turkeys, and many, many Alligators. I also saw some Black and Turkey Vultures, Ospreys, Limpkins, Rosette Spoonbills and a couple of Little Blue Herons. At the Myakka Birdwalk, the water has receeded back away from the boardwalk, leaving some exposed shoreline. At the Birdwalk, I saw Sandhill Cranes, Blue-winged Teal, Florida Mottled Ducks, Long and Short-billed Dowitchers, and several different sandpipers. Right now, the Park is in good shape..

Admission to Myakka State Park is $6.00 a vehicle for 2 or more people and $4.00 for one person vehicle. Just thought I'd share this information..

Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post the update, Dave. It's much appreciated.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was pondering visiting here, but am wondering, has it gotten better?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCallahan View Post
    I was pondering visiting here, but am wondering, has it gotten better?
    Don't know Chris, but I will be going down there in a couple of days and I will let you know..

Dave