Thread: Black Grouse.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Grouse.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4+nikon 300ml 2.8
    1/640@f2.8 iso1000.

From a session I had in North Yorkshire UK .Not absolutely sure if I have got all this right but I do like the movement in the image ,please let me know what you think.
    Thanks a lot for your comments and tips on my Little Owl post.

Keith.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exposure looks good, the image is a tad noisy a little NR would help. The pose is good but unfortunately the bird is looking away as opposed toward the camera. The background is unobtrusive.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, I think a tad too much on the lifting of the shadow slider, as it bringing up the noise in the darks & shadows. Agree that the angle is not ideal, but in do like the calling posture and slight motion in the wing tips. The overall colours are good, as I like the contrast between the subject and the grasses.

Drop me a line next time you are planning to be in the area, I'm just heading back, as we could do a quick run through with shooting & settings. Great to see you getting out and about. It's a cracker of a day here.

Keith, if you want some help on the image just knock on the door.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely bird Keith. Great calling pose, even if it is walking away from you.
    I've never seen one in the wild but I'm ever hopeful.
    Exposure looks good except that some whites do appear too bright on my monitor - particularly the topmost tail feathers and there is a bright white band along the wing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Repost.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys, Jonathan thanks for pointing out the noise unfortunately I have not got any NR software at the moment but it's next on my list to get. Steve you are spot on I did go a bit oot with shadows/highlight's this a repost without it,still a bit in the wing but the flank looks better I think

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cracking bird with great a pose and nice background. I agree with the other comments regarding the bird looking away and the noise, but a smashing image all the same Keith.

Update following repost : noise looking a lot better

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, I remember your previous image of this fellow/species. I do like the dark blues on him, and as mentioned although looking away, you still managed a good calling pose with the open beak, and slightly raised wings. Im surprised you have noise with the D4 at a 'low' ISO 1000.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot folks, Stuart should say the noise is down to me rather than the camera which I rate very highly and well worth the few pounds I paid for it ,still got an awful lot to learn about the camera but recon this site is the place to be to for faults to be pointed out in a constructive manner which I much appreciate.

Keith.