Thread: A movie from Sweden.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A movie from Sweden.

Hello!This is my first try to make a wildlife Movie.It is filmed in Södermanland,Sweden.It includes Roedeer,Fallow,Boar and all animals is wild and free roaming.Sinc/Kenneth

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kenneth,
    I am not sure if I would like to critique. However, I think it would be better to point out a few things which I had tried hard to eliminate from my filming when I started filming wildlife and some of which are visible in your video. Trying to point out so that it becomes easier for you, which took me a lot of time.

As wildlife photographers we tend to follow action by moving our camera and clicking. You won't realise that we carry forward this tendency to filming. When you watch the resulting footage you will find that it is jerky, it moves to left and right as the subject movement happens. If the camera continues to move left and right chasing the subject, it would be very distracting for the viewer and the viewer will immediately close the video.

In wildlife filming one ought to compose each shot carefully as we speak through those shots. Each shot here can be from a few seconds to even a few minutes long depending upon action. When I say few seconds, remember that below five seconds our brain doesn't register it.

When you are composing a shot of a moving animal for eg. the pigs in your video, allow them to move into your frame and then out of it. So at times you hold your camera steady to allow them to move into the frame from say left and move out of the frame from right. And that is your cut. Then next you can compose another shot of an activity where you can slowly pan the camera. Remember that you need to mentally visualise that the starting of the pan should be a good frame in itself and the ending should also be a good frame. That means if you just take the first frame and the last frame of the sequence, those two frames should be good enough as still images. Those frames register in our minds.

In many situations, we still photographers tend to create a composition with the subject on the rule of thirds position. When the subject moves, we track it like the still photography days to place the subject on the rule of thirds position. Doing so makes it jerky. So we need to ensure that the starting point of the shot should be compositionally good and then move the camera (pan/tllt etc) and end the shot with the subject again in good composition.

You may try to show us alternate points of view - wide establishing shots, medium and closeup etc. So some with habitat, some with just the close up of the animal and some even with the closeup of the activity like the animal feeding, moving through the water etc etc.

And don't forget to edit out the portions where the camera has been suddenly moved which tells the viewer that we failed to anticipate the movement. So invariably you will find that good natural history cinematographers are actually very good at understanding animal behaviour.

I think I better have my morning tea else I will continue writing. :)

Cheers,
    Sabyasachi

3. Thanks MiroslavMaric thanked for this post